Deleting Old Versions Of City Select

RB_Nielsen

Hi,

I have three versions of City Select installed on my computer - ver 4.01, 5.x, and now 6.x. I can load maps onto my Garmin V from any of these versions, although I'm not really tempted to use anything other than the latest ver 6.x. I have ton of available disk space on my computer, so keeping all these version is not a particular problem. But since I have not used any of the older versions since loading ver 6.x, I have started wondering about deleting the other two versions.

In searching through this forum, and in looking through the garmin.com web site, I have not been able to find any specific directions for successfully deleting the old City Select versions. I'm hoping someone has successfully deleted an old version of City Select, and that they will provide the specific information for doing this.

In talking to a friend who has attempted this, they used the Windows Control Panel Add/Delete program, and after deleting ver 4.01 their ver 6.x no longer worked, and they had to re-load everything. So it appears not to be a straightforward process.

Thanks in advance

RB Nielsen

I had the full version of CS NA v5 installed on my computer and I then installed the CS NA v6 update. Once v6 was installed, I went back and uninstalled v5 (from the Windows Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs applet), and v6 still works just fine for me on my machine. i.e. there's no need to keep any prior version of CS NA installed once v6 is installed.

In fact, the v6 update is totally self-sufficient (i.e. it doesn't require that any other version be installed in order to function) and this has been proven since you can install it as a stand-alone application by simply performing a Registry tweak. Thus, no prior version is required in order for it to function and so you will be just fine after uninstalling your older versions of CS NA.

In talking to a friend who has attempted this, they used the Windows Control Panel Add/Delete program, and after deleting ver 4.01 their ver 6.x no longer worked, and they had to re-load everything. So it appears not to be a straightforward process.

I had the same problem when trying to remove an old copy of Metroguide. Windows zapped something in the Mapsource program but did not harm my other mapsets. Running the latest Mapsource update got me back in business. I think I'll leave it well enough alone and live with the old maps being on my PC.

Cheers, Olar