Hiding Caches

The Hotdog

hey has any one ever hid a cache with a legend before I am thinking about hidding one and i was wondering about averging the guide on the geocaching.com

had said some thing about it and was wondering about what it does.

and trying to figure out what you do to get the right coords to hide one. so if any one can help me out with this please post and what type of gps do ya'll use what steps do you do when hidding a cache. ;)

Hey does the legend have auto averaging?

which other gps have auto averaging? ;)

The legend doesn't have auto averaging. The eTrex series in general don't. I'm not sure about the new eTrex colors.

However averaging will only pick you up about 3 feet of accuracey give or take. To truly have a good average you need to come back and make a measurement with variouse satallite constelations.

Averaging while you are standing there is just averaging the current conditions and your GPS is allready good enough for that with a single reading.

My observations. None scientific.

Hey does the legend have auto averaging?

which other gps have auto averaging?  ;)

Garmin receivers do not have auto averaging, Magellan receivers have auto averaging. The Garmin original eTrex series does not have any waypoint averaging but other Garmin receivers (12XL, 76 series, the new Legend C/Vista C, 60C) have a user command to average.

However averaging will only pick you up about 3 feet of accuracey give or take.  To truly have a good average you need to come back and make a measurement with variouse satallite constelations.

Averaging while you are standing there is just averaging the current conditions and your GPS is allready good enough for that with a single reading.

My observations.  None scientific.

Good observations. In general short term averaging (minutes) doesn't really help when the conditions are good. If the conditions are bad, some averaging can help.

General comments.....

If you're trying to mark the location of your cache, try walking away at least 50 yards/meters and back and in different directions. Note the readings you get at the cache. If you have good conditions the readings will be close, if you have bad conditions the readings will probably vary a fair amount in which case you might average them. Best is to try to get multiple marks at different times (different satellite constellations with good dispersion) on different days. Note that you get the same satellite constellation 4 minutes earlier each day. Don't take a reading when a major solar storm hits unless you are using DGPS processing (ie WAAS) to get the correct ionosphere delays.

The USFS tests at the Clackamas site have some good info....

http://www.fs.fed.us/database/gps/gpsusfs.htm

http://users.erols.com/dlwilson/gps.htm

http://www.gpsnuts.com/myGPS/GPS/Technical...curacy_by_c.htm