Trying To Get A Pq

AuntieWeasel

I've run tons (okay, a dozen maybe) PQs of home territory, and I think I know what the pitfalls are. I'm going on vacation tomorrow, though, and I've been trying for days to get a PQ of the two new locations where I'll be. I get the okay message, but nothing comes into my mailbox.

Two things I can think of: either the file is too big (but I trimmed it down to 100, and it's still doing it), or I asked for 100 and there aren't that many. Is that last thing a potential problem? It's by British postal code...are there any quirks there?

I know it's something I'm doing wrong...but I'm leaving in the wee hours and I don't want to exhaust my five-a-day making newbie mistakes.

Have you previewed the pocket query results online to confirm that they returned caches?

Could you describe everything you've selected in the PQ generator so we can help you troubleshoot? In particular, please specify the postal code you used, in exactly the format you input.

Have you previewed the pocket query results online to confirm that they returned caches? 

Yes, and it's the right area and everything. I recognize the landmarks.

Settings are:

generate: tue

run: once

100 caches

any time

any container

that: I haven't found

no terrain or difficulty setting

postal code: XXXX XXX

placed during: none selected

output to: this account's email

zipped

I understand British postal codes resolve down to practically the house level. So you'd be welcome to come over, KA, but bring vodka. We're always running short, and it's ever so expensive over there.

Thanks for looking...

edit: removed postal code, because I don't want all you scruffy geocaching yanks over for supper

Edited by AuntieWeasel
The only query for today was archived and set to only run once (it ran on Sunday).  I changed both those settings and had it run again.  It looks like it was delivered sucessfully, so if you didn't get the results you were expecting, let me know.

:( Elias

Yay! It just hit my inbox! Thanks so much.

But...I did a query Sunday of my local area, then edited it to Tuesday and England. Is that what I did wrong? Should I have started fresh? It seemed okay with it ('your query has been successfully edited' I think it said).

Oh, well. All's well that ends with me hunting tupperware in a foreign land.

But...I did a query Sunday of my local area, then edited it to Tuesday and England. Is that what I did wrong? Should I have started fresh? It seemed okay with it ('your query has been successfully edited' I think it said).

The query on Sunday was set to run only once. Since it ran on Sunday, that was considered its "once", so even if you scheduled the query for a future day, it won't run again. You have to make a new query to get it to run on a future day.

:( Elias

I don't know whether you'll have internet access while you're over here, but if you do have and you want any help or advice about caching over here you might want to try the UK forum.

Among others. There seem to be an inordinate number of very clever geocaching resources in the UK.

That's not my problem.

My problem is convincing my British partner that he thought of this, even though I've been babbling about it for six months.

The query on Sunday was set to run only once.  Since it ran on Sunday, that was considered its "once", so even if you scheduled the query for a future day, it won't run again.  You have to make a new query to get it to run on a future day.

D'oh!

So "run once" means "run this one time and never again" not "run this once but don't reschedule next week this time." I promise to remember that. I don't promise to pronounce "schedule" as "shhhhhedule," though.

Thanks so much to everyone on this thread.

Think of me eight hours from now when I'm putting my swag bag through the X-ray machine...