Travel Bug Idea - Feedback Please

Sparrowhawk

I have an upcoming cache planned that is like ye olde "Key To The Nutria" cache where you need to find a travel bug which has the coords to find the real cache. I plan on TWO travel bug "keys", the puzzle-it-out version and the easy version.

I just came up with an evil idea: Since I am not exactly 5-star-cache compatible (not exactly an athletic mountain goat type) the way to inaugurate the new cache could be to maybe have someone who IS 5-star compatible park the easy TB 'key' in some freakin' 5-star level cache. Sure, you can be a first-finder by getting the non-puzzle coords TB, BUT...! :unsure:

Meanwhile, the puzzle-version bug goes into some silly cache-and-dash. The puzzle is designed to take about 3 hours to break, minimum. ;)

Too evil? Too something-or-other? Fun idea? Please let me know... Thanks.

Should work. I've seen a couple in my area that have but with a key that floats around or a bug with coordinates on it.

Unfortunately, they may not stay in the area you want them to. One bug had a goal of staying within the county and it popped up a hundred miles south. It never came back.

Other than that, it sounds like a cool idea!

I perfectly well expect that the bug WILL wander to areas where it shouldn't. That was part of the problem with "Key To The Nutria". I plan to have large tags with big, red letters on it that says: "PLEASE KEEP THIS TRAVEL BUG IN THE PORTLAND METRO AREA!"

The bug will be a CD-ROM containing excellent music of brillant-but-rather-unknown female singers of various styles ranging from celtic to gothic to gentle newage to guitar-screaming hard rock to "I like it, but what the heck IS it?!" AND nearly everything in between. My best friend has an amazing music collection and great knowledge and it's finally time to take advantage of it. ;)

More info on this hidden music subgenre can be found here.

The coords in the puzzle version will include a track of coords sung in harmony (no kidding) but you won't be able to tell which track it is from the name. You have to listen to the collection to find it. The easy version would have the coords in a txt file.

The final location ain't too bad for an example of typical Oregon nice-location.

This cache will be in place before the end of November... that's the goal at this point. Wish me luck.

PS:

If - in the long run - we end up with a local bunch of new music fans because of this idea, I can invite folks for pizza and viewing of rare music videos and listening to rare tracks of this stuff. :unsure:

Edited by Sparrowhawk
The kermit and Piggy travel bugs will get you to "Where Kermit Met Piggy", one half of the coordinate set is on each TB tag.

The problem is once in a while somebody will take one of them to California or someplace. :(

But they always make it home.

I know I found the Piggy TB while down in Reno 2 weeks ago, but it plainly said don't take out of Reno, so I dropped in another local cache.

One Clueless in Kent TB's made it to Portland for a few months once.

Sparrowhawk, I'm not sure that you've received an answer to your actual question, so I'll chime in with an opinion.

I think your idea of having someone deposit your 'easy answer' TB in a five-star terrain geocache is an excellent solution. Good thinking!

Sounds like fun.