One Mystery Solved -- And A New Mystery

Pharmadude

Last winter my cache Campbell Valley Surprise was visited by a mysterious benefactor.

As I noted on Jan 28, 2004:

...I was astonished to find the original cache container missing and replaced by a much sturdier ammo box. Thank you, thank you, anonymous donor!! (The last recorded visit was by a group of self-described 'stoners' who accidentally came across the cache while they were partaking of some kind of herbal remedy. They politely signed the logbook, then left the cache perched prominently in the fork of a tree!)...

Eight months later (i.e. today) I received the following e-mail from a Keith Tyler in Federal Way, WA:

Pharmadude,

In case you never found out, I thought you might be interested in the

identity behind the not-so-anonymous donor that upgraded your Campbell

Valley Surprise cache from a tupperware to an ammo can and replaced the

bags and info sheet, last winter.

As it turns out, the entire upgrading process is the opening feature of an

episode of an Internet-based Langley-area television show called

Patrolling. The host, Sean Kennedy, fashions himself as sort of a roving

modernist-survivalist for Generation X. He apparently stumbled upon the

CVS during his "rounds" of his "territory", and decided to contribute

back to the world by "fixing" your cache. He didn't log either online or

in the logbook.

Anyway, you probably are interested in the video, which was Episode 3,

and which can be downloaded via one of the methods at:

http://patrolling.rantmedia.ca/download.php

Enjoy,

Keith T. / RomulusNR @ geocaching

Of course now I'm anxious to look at the video, but I'm a little overwhelmed by the whole process of setting up a "torrent client".

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last winter my cache

Of course now I'm anxious to look at the video, but I'm a little overwhelmed by the whole process of setting up a "torrent client".

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Go here:

http://www.archive.org/movies/details-db.p...=patrolsks01e03

and download the 192.4Mb .avi file.

I am still downloading it so I cant tell you about it yet.

<edit>

It was worth the download.

He took great care to fix the cache, and did some great "cleaning"

watch it if you can.

It also has a video spoiler as to where it is hidden.

He put some kool items in the cache.

</edit>

Edited by we3dements

For installing bittorrent:

http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/download.html

Go to that website and get the installer for your operating system. Install it (there's no spyware, etc from this link although other installer distributors have been known to bundle it, this is the original guy and doesn't do that).

Once it is installed, open a new browser window and click on a *.torrent file link and it will open a save dialog. That is where you want the final huge file to go. It will start the bittorrent client which coordinates the download from anyone else who is also downloading the file, so that it's a distributed download (similar in some ways to Kazaa..different in others). You can download the file faster that way than the single download of the avi file from archive.org.

Of course, if you don't want the trouble of all this, just go get the archive.org file as suggested above. For 100 MB it won't save you *that* much time to use the torrent...especially if there's no one else online currently to distribute the download with.

Well now that I've seen the program, what can I say?

This guy is totally wacko!!!

If you haven't seen it yet, approximately the first 13 minutes of the half-hour video is spent on "critiquing" and "rebuilding" my cache. It's well worth the download. (But I'd be a little worried about spending much time with the "host" :blink: )

Wow, WOGs.

I read about the 'Patrolling' geocache episode recently in a post here about the icenrye geocaching videozine. I downloaded it and it left me nearly speachless except...

What does it do?

How well does it do it?

So I guess I need to save up for $300 worth of socks now. I think it was interesting how he rehid the CVS cache. It was just stuck in a tree. I am going to have to head over the border and grab that one soon to see just how well the new 'kit' is holding up...

Im still downloading the video but just from what you folks said this guy sounds like a head case, i will put my final verdict in after i see the video. as for somebody comming through and revamping my cache box, get off it!, lol :D . let me know if there is something wrong with it and i will take care of it myself. but thats just one guys oppion. im sure he ment well.