Magellan Explorist 300

shellann

Any thought on the new Magellan explorist series. I know the 300 is just now coming out but I really like the altimeter and barometer features. They have no data input though. This will be my second gps I had a magellan sportrac but I returned it when the case started to split within days of purchase. So I am anxious to get another gps.

Thanks

Michelle ;)

Personally, the lack of PC input is a deal breaker for me. Way too tedious to input waypoints by hand, not to mention never being able to save a track back to my PC. Also consider the fact that you will never be able to update the firmware without sending the unit back to Magellan. Updating firmware every so often (usually about once a year) makes sure the unit is working to it's best abilities, and addresses any "bugs" that may have become aparent in the OS since the unit was first sold.

As for the ST crack issue; the cracks are on the outside and do not intrude past the rubber seal, so are cosmetic at worst, not affecting the water-tightness. My ST Pro has a couple that are barely visible if you look extremely close (never even noticed them untill reading about it here), but I backed the screws off 1/8 turn, and they have never gotten any worse. To me anyway, they are a non-issue, considering how well the unit works.

<snip>

As for the ST crack issue; the cracks are on the outside and do not intrude past the rubber seal, so are cosmetic at worst, not affecting the water-tightness.  My ST Pro has a couple that are barely visible if you look extremely close (never even noticed them untill reading about it here), but I backed the screws off 1/8 turn, and they have never gotten any worse.  To me anyway, they are a non-issue, considering how well the unit works.

Not completely true, although there have been few reports of water damage as a result of the stress cracks, it has been reported as in this thread

IMHO, If Altimeter/Barometer is important for you, get an Meridian Platinum - it's about 280 US$ on eBay. 16 Mb built-in, SD card, Barometer/Altimeter, 3-axis electronic compass and so on. The functionally richest Magellan unit. (Color Screen - not really needed for a normal geocasher). No connection to PC (Explorist line) - it's a seroius lack of functionality :rolleyes:

If you are considering the eXplorist 300, you should take a look at the Garmin Geko 301 as well. About the same capabilities for about the same price and the Geko has PC connectivity (but doesn't have a basemap).

A basemap with no upload capability to improve it is nearly useless, so I wouldn't even consider that in the equation when making the choice. Joani has a Geko 301 and is very happy with it (my Sportrak Color does all the mapping we need, so hers is used just to point to caches. :huh: )

--Marky

IMHO, If Altimeter/Barometer is important for you, get an Meridian Platinum ... . 16 Mb built-in, SD card, Barometer/Altimeter, 3-axis electronic compass and so on.

I'd also opt for the Platinum over the eXplorist 300, but it does not currently utilize the pressure sensor as an altimeter. No idea if Magellan will eventually release new firmware that supports altimeter functions in the Plat. using this sensor, but at the moment the Garmin Geko 301, Vista/VistaC, 76S/CS, and 60CS are your alternatives if you want a pressure-based altimeter. I'd pick any of those over the eXplorist 300.