Help needed !!!

Decker

Please Help we are new and are having a problem finding anything, using an E-Trex and after some frustration and swearing figured out how to work it. First cach was a virtual cach have one picyure of a momument, not sure if was what I was looking for, second cach by coordinates was twenty feet into the bay, am I stupid? help Decker

No Geocacher is stupid. Just different levels of newbie. In this case, having found one cache, your gps is probably set correctly. Just to be sure, check your Datum and verify that it is WGS84.

Even if everything is right there is plenty of room for error. Remember, the person who placed the cache did it earlier and different satellites were in view. That can effect the reading somewhat. Next, best case, you can only be sure that you are within roughly 60' when you get to the posted coords. Accuracy is traditionally 30' and adding the placer's possible error your only going to get to the general area. The rest is hunting skills.

Don't let it bother you, and don't take the GPS reading as gospel. When the GPS says you're where you should be, look around and ask yourself where you would have hidden a cache. Fan out in wider and wider cicles if you have to. Even then, sometimes you may come up empty. The cache may have been taken or very well hidden. You are not going to find them all. Most of the fun is in trying.

Welcome aboard and keep plugging..

geosign.gif

Ranz is right. Just take a deep breath and relax a bit. Then look around. Were there any spoilers or clues on the cache page? What difficulty rating was it? The first few you try should be easy ones then move up to the more difficult. Do you know any other cachers in your area? If so, ask them to go with you.

skorpyon

I too am frustrated. I found one but it was by accident, I'm sure. I can't understand the navigational settings on the GPS - never used it before. I was trying to follow the arrows but they kept changing direction on me. What's the deal with the heading/bearing settings? I need a tutorial! icon_frown.gif

I too am frustrated. I found one but it was by accident, I'm sure. I can't understand the navigational settings on the GPS - never used it before. I was trying to follow the arrows but they kept changing direction on me. What's the deal with the heading/bearing settings? I need a tutorial! icon_frown.gif

The big problem that I see with newbies is that there in to much of a hurry. Take your time, and read the instruction booklet. It will explain the GPS all the way through. Not all caches are sitting right on the numbers given. You have to think all scenarios. When I started, I had a hard time finding some caches, then a fellow cacher said that you have to not think its were they say it is, they may have been standing 100 feet away when they took the reading, but they can see the tree, or whatever they hid the cache by from where they are standing. Once I started doing this, things start popping out. It becomes pretty clear where these hiding spots are. If you need any more assistance, feel free to contact me at bpeacock@bright.net SEEKER BP TEAM E-TREX

Something else you can do also, is get a compass and when the GPSr says your 150-200' from the cache, check what the bearings are to the cache, set these on the compass. Line up the N arrow and the arrow inside the compass bezel. The arrow on the base plate will point in the direction you need to travel. Now follow that arrow and pace off the distance your GPSr says. If you don't find anything in that general location, walk 100' in another direction, and do it over again. By doing this from several points your narrowing the location to a smaller area. Then like Ranz said, think where you would hide a cache in that area if you were going to. It's probably there. Good luck.

A compass is a very big help as yuou get within about 100' of the cache as you will move less and the GPS signal will cause the direction arrow to shift. I can't think of the number of caches where I have lined up a compass and walked right up to it. If your having problems understanding the manual visit our local camping/hunting/boating store. Garmin and Magellan both put out video tapes that explain how to use your your GPS in an easliy understood manner.

Thanks for the tips about using a regular ol' compass to zero in on a cache site. I am reading the "getting started" forum to avoid frustration before going out in the field. I am a former "Orienteer" (topo map and compass only) since the 1970's, who has decided to go high-tech. My Silva compass was very upset about this. He is now happy to hear that he will still have a role in my travels.

quote:
Originally posted by Decker:

second cach by coordinates was twenty feet into the bay, am I stupid? help Decker

Remeber.. there is an often an error of at least 20 ft. If you and the placer each have an error of 20 ft, that's 40 ft. So 20 ft into the water is reasonable if the caches is near the shore. You're close... start looking..

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

quote:
Originally posted by seeker bp (Team E-Trex):

they may have been standing 100 feet away when they took the reading, but they can see the tree, or whatever they hid the cache by from where they are standing

Takeing the coordinates 100 ft from the cache is totally unreasonable unless the hider states that it is an offset cache. Anyone that takes the coordinates 100 ft from the cache without saying so needs to be taken into the woods and left there without the gps.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.