Rail crossings

Lafrog

I understand that a cache can't be hidden on or near a railroad, but is o.k to cross a railroad to get to the cache. We have a hiking/bike trail around our town which crosses a railroad at least twice. I've found a good spot along this trail, away from the tracks but need to know if it's alright to have cachers cross to get to this point

Crossing Railroad tracks is fine. The trail crosses them, people are expected to use the trail. No problem.

Another situation came up where the best access to a spot was across tracks and there was no trail. Most (not all) thought it was ok to place that one also. You had the option of coming in from the other side.

The real problem isn't crossing tracks. You can't criss cross the nation with RR's and not expect people to cross tracks. The problem is tresspassing on RR property. They are pretty anal about people hanging out on their property.

Ditto on the anal part, no disrespect, but it is private property. I would say 75' from the centerline of the tracks on either side would be okay. Standard width, in Oregon, is 100', but adding a "cushion" will not hurt either.

Check with the county tax assessor or title/abstract company for the exact width of railroad property. They can provide the deed with descriptions for the railroad giving the width of said track.

As for crossing, check with the RR. I know of a couple of "crossings" that are just there, not deed or granted. The RR is the final authority.