Un-destroying A Bm ?

Bill93

I found MG0512, designation '8', as described in good condition, but its record at NGS is marked destroyed. I am waiting to finish a roll of pictures, and will then try to explain this to Deb. Will NGS restore it to the active list?

I was lucky enough to guess its PID "in the cracks" between other PIDs in the area to find its record. If anybody knows a better way to find the record of a destroyed mark, please post it because I have more to look up that I haven't been able to guess.

This BM is interesting to me because another mark designated '8 RESET' about 50 miles away is mistakenly listed with the same Lat Long and I'd like to get that straightened out. Actually there are 3 pairs with the Lat Long problem. But one thing at a time.

A 1975 log by NGS shows MG0512 marked destroyed, but the wording seems wrong. I think it was posted to the wrong PID because it says 'Surface mark reported destroyed' which sounds like a triangulation station. This is is a bolt embedded in the concrete of a bridge railing so the words make no sense here.

There is a recovery log in poor condition by USPSQD in 1995. I suspect that the reason they called it 'poor' is that a bolt looks a little (not a lot) like the stem a BM disk would be attached to. It looks to me like it is in as good condition as the day the concrete set. But why did NGS post their 'Recovered' on the record of a 'Destroyed' mark?

Any advice on this mess from you more experienced folk?

BH

It looks to me like you're already on the right track to a solution for the problem, or problems. Just like you've already done in this forum, explain to the NGS what you've found for each mark, how you found it (research and condition), etc. Send pictures if you've got them; the more information, the better. They may request even more info on a particular mark, so give them everything you've got, and let them sort through it. If you've found a 'destroyed' mark intact, it can be declared 'un-destroyed'. It doesn't happen often, but so-called destroyed monuments have been found before.

Keep up the good work!

- Kewaneh

:blink: On the NGS Datasheet Search by County page, after selecting your state, the next page lets you pick your county. On that same page, you can go to the Data Type Desired: box and arrow down to Destroyed Marks Only (Normally not published). That choice is at the bottom of the list.

This will give you a list of destroyed marks in the selected county.

Using this procedure to search Johnson County, Iowa gives you MG0512 and 6 other results.

GH

Edited by GH55

Colorado Papa wrote:

Wow, what a wealth of knowledge! Got enough destroyed BMs to keep me going for a long time while I'm doing the National Map!

Thanks for the lead!

Mega Dittos. I enjoyed browsing Wake County, North Carolina. Saw my name a few times on the destruction reports. Also the usual stuff, such as USPSQD continuing to report two TV towers which collapsed in an ice storm many years ago.

Those replacement towers will bite you every time! (grin)

-Paul-

Side Note: Entries which were coded "destroyed" a few years ago do not appear in geocaching.com--I presume because they were not published on the CD. I was not able to determine the cut-off year, but it goes back to what has been said here many times before: To get the WHOLE story, you must refer to the NGS data base.

You can also get a list of non-published stations for an entire state by going to the yearly archives, selecting your state and clicking "Get Misc Files". The bottom choice will be "nonpub.Station List of all non-published stations in the state". This list will contain stations for which no datasheet exists in addition to the ones mentioned previously that do have a datasheet. The list includes coordinates so it might be useful to those who want to look for things that aren't there anymore :)

I hadn't figured out the technique suggested by gh55 and will make some use of it. However, rogbarn is right, using the archive files does give you more stations than the other method.

This can be useful if some of the non-published stations were for instance intersection stations and therefore adjusted coordinates, and you have others that refer to the same landmark. One example is the railroad coal chute in Allerton IA, which is gone but is referred to in the description of some vertical control marks in the town.