We Got A Garmin 76s - Did We Do Okay?

GeoPup&ShelpieGirl

GPS:

I know, everybody asks about gear, but we gotta ask! We were getting a GPS for work on dairies (sometimes hard to find if the wind isnt just right ;-) , and for fun, and found a Garmin 76s on Amazon when they had $50 off (actually a gift certificate). It was $315 before the gift certificate deal. We read a few feedbacks that were positive, and picked the Garmin 76s. We were trying to get the most "bang for the buck." Did we do okay? I got the Garmin external antenna (expensive!!!) GA-27c - do the third parties ones by GPSgeek work just as well?

MAP CD:

Also, I got a older version (4.03?) of MapsourceMetroguide CD on Ebay $50 - it came with new 16MB card I dont need - I will sell the card, once I have it to see the packaging (the packaging says Mapsource 16MB - I'll know more when it arrives this week). Im assuming its a blank Garmin DataCard.

Im excited! We already got the coordinates of what will be our first cache that is (amazingly) only a mile from our house, and made a contact (via Geocaching.com) with a local geocacher who is going to meet us for coffee & a free intro!

Well, just wanted to say "hi" to everyone.

Hi Everyone :D

Your set-up sounds fine. Once you're actually in the woods you forget about all the fancy technology. I have a cheap and less-than-ideal GPS, but it's gotten me to fine to most of the caches I've searched for (I say most because you cannot forget the DNF's!). When I first found out that I had a pretty bad GPS, I really wanted a new one, and I wanted to mapping software. Now it doesn't really matter, because what I have now is working just fine!

It isn't that amazing that there is a geocache a mile away from your house! Once you get started, you'll be suprised how many are nearby! Good Luck!

Thanks! What a great crew here. Today, we entered our first MARKS for turns, learned to name waypoints, "goto" them, and found that the suction cup antenna in the front window works great - that expensive Garmin 27C external antenna (I tink we keep it ;-)

Instead of coming home, we now arrive at desination waypoint zero - that is so much more fun. Im like a kid :)

Im looking at the Garmin serial cable that came in the box (as opposed to coming IN the cereal box - I wish ;-) and was wondering it I could slit the cable insulation, fish out the unused ?I guessing that they are unused in a serial cable) power "wires" and add a Radio Snack cigarette/car adapter for use in the car? Anybody done this? I see that the Garmin manual shows pin arrangement - are the power cables REALLY red (+12VDC) and black(ground)?

Thanks all!

Paul