Looking For Simple Pocket Pc Gps Tool

cryptoron

Hi,

I have a garmin gps. Works fine and is ruggidized. I also have an ipaq 2210 with a bluetooth gps receiver. I would like expirment with finding caches using the ipaq. I found a number of tools for the ipaq (gpsdash, oziexplorerce etc). May be I didn't pay attention but they all seem to miss the basic feature I use most when cache hunting.

I just want to have a list of waypoints, select one, and press a "go to" button.

Then I want to see: the direction and distance. I would be nice to also see the EPE in this screen. Another nifty thing would be an audio signal when getting closer. So you can walk to the cache without to have to look at the screen all the time. A little bit like the netstumbler audio function for wardriving. Which is not much different after all from geocaching. :rolleyes:

So what else does there exist?

Ron

I use MapAdvisor in conjuction with Quakemap. Works great. Set it up in Quakemap on the pc and export to mapadvisor. It gives you all but the beep. Just took it out today. The support at MapAdvisor was first rate as I couldn't get a distance to destination and they worked with me till we had it running. I use a iPaq 3760 with a Pretec CFGPS works great. :lol:

I use Mapopolis autonavigation ($80-100)with my 2215. Besides the great navigation system with audio and visual prompts, you can create Maplets (gpstomaplet.com) for free so that all the caches appear as red dots or American flags on the maps. You tap on one and navigate to it. It will allow you drive to near the cache and then when you go off road you can follow the GPS page which shows distance and direction, etc but not EPE or give an audible beep when close.

Of course with your 2210, I asssume you are creating .gpx files for it so you can go completely paperless (Also need GSAK and gpxsonar)

While I have used my 2215 off road, my Vista is handier and safer from breakage, but I then switch to the 2215 to read the cache pages and hints.

One other programs is NG Topo where you can download 24K topo maps, but it's not good for finding waypoints but rather your position in the woods.

Good luck

Alan

Edited by Alan2