Noob question

THespos

This is a hypothetical that might become not-so-hypothetical soon for me.

Let's say I go out and find a bunch of caches with a friend of mine and log our finds on the site. Let's say that my friend decides he wants his own account on Geocaching.com and he signs up for the site. Does he then go back and re-log all the finds that he made with me under his name? Or does he start over from scratch when he joins up on the site?

I know it's not a race to log the most finds, but how do y'all typically handle this?

Originally posted by unclerojelio:

quote:

BTW, How says it's not a race?

I dunno. I've only found three caches. To me, the appeal lies not in comparing how many I've found to that of other cachers, but in the actual walking around in the woods looking for Tupperware. YMMV.

Never mind races, he should log them for his own benefit. Maybe he won't stick with it, but if he does, he'll be glad someday he has a complete record.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

He should go back and log them. In his log, he should mention that he found them with you. That way, it should make sense to the cache owners.

Over the last few years, I have found a number of caches with my brothers. At the time, they did not have GPSrs and weren't 'active' cachers so they didn't become members and log the finds on-line. They both recently acquired eTrexes. Now that they have the toys, they will start actively caching. I believe that they should go back and log the one's we found together, even though it has been quite a bit of time since the caches were found.

In fact that goes for anyone out there who thinks they are only a tag-along. If you have trudged through mud, been bitten, scraped, scratched, snagged, thorn'd, burred, frozen and baked, you have just as much right to sign the log as the one owning the GPS.

Who said it was wrong to let someone bushwack a trail for you and on their dime? As long as you weren't just sitting in the car, go for it!

Originally posted by Kite & Hawkeye:

quote:
I don't think it's necessary or reasonable to make him go back and find the caches again, and how else is he going to get them off his nearest list?

I didn't mean to imply that I wanted him to go back and re-find caches. I just wanted to make sure that if he did go back and re-log under his name that he wouldn't be breaking any sort of etiquette rules that I might not yet be aware of. (I'm a noob.)

Thanks to everyone for their help.