Your Gratitude Underwhelms Me.

flask

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

remember - it's only a game

----------------------

check out google for 'latin' above -

http://www.google.com/search?num=30&hl=en&...orundum&spell=1

ROFLMFAO! I have had a coffee mug with that phrase on it for over 20 years. After you take the first sip the translation is revealed on the inside. :):o:)

It's one of the two latin phrases I know. : :P

um flask was it ok for me to abbreviate ROFL.....? <_<

GREAT! glad you enjoyed it -

that piece of suedo latin was learned from an old tool and die man - that and the meaning of RCH. Sorry folks this is a family show (a suedo machinist's standard of .300"). Will remember old Charley P forever for those two bits of wisdom. Bless his cold hearted soul.

Edited by CompuCash

Flask, I've never hunted any of your caches, so I may be way out in left field, but it seems to me that you're being just a little too ego-driven with this. You put some stuff out in tupperware and seem to expect people to thank you very profusely. You might consider whether your caches are worth more than TFTC. I may be very wrong about this, and if I am I apologize, but at least give it a moment's thought.

How much I write tends to follow how much fun the cache was, but this can vary. If I'm being eaten by mosquitos, it's raining, there are muggles around, I need to go to the bathroom really bad, or any number of other things, I may not write a novel in the log even though I really liked it. When I get home and start to log caches, I may or may not remember everything, and I may or may not have a lot of time to get the logs done before SWMBO has me doing the honey-dos I was supposed to be doing when I went caching.

Just be glad people are hunting and logging your caches. They don't have to do even that. Nobody is forcing you to hide caches. If you don't get enough satisfaction from the logs, archive everything and quit hiding.

I don't mean to offend you, but I just don't see the point of whining about the logs you get.

no, no, NO! it's not about short log entries and it's not about my need for thanks. it's about cookie cutter TFTCs. not in my caches (heaven knows i never check those), but i see them all over.

maybe i'm just old fasioned, but if TFTC is just what you write at the bottom of every log, it has little meaning for me.

as for people who write short logs, i have no quarrel with that. just last week i signed a logbook with "rain starting. flask".

in tha absence of some other topic on which to rant (sometimes i just like to rant. so shoot me.), i chose this one because i went on a caching trip where i saw the most insipid set of identical TFTC logs in almost every cache i went to and i went, all, like, EWWWW. i mean, it was so nice of you to take the time.

but i really think i AM going to do that paper tacked to a tree cache. sometimes i hide good caches, sometimes i'm being ironic. the trouble is when people can't tell the one from the other.

TFR.

sometimes i just like to rant. so shoot me.

I always suspected you were cool. That actually made me laugh.

I think you should put your paper cache on a supermarket bulletin board. There’s more camouflage that way.

See ya around.

Edited by Elf Danach
i'm not an author.  i'm not there to write a thesis.  i do most of my caching in the rain and snow. i also like to save some room for other people if the log is getting full.  i have liked all the caches i've found.  if they read more or less into my log that's their problem, not mine.[/color]

I don't think flask was talking about brief entries in the physical logbook. I think it is the online logs that are being referred to.

Even so, all any of us can do is guess about the finder's experience at a cache site. The less they write the greater the chance for misinterpretation. I don't think acronyms or cut-and-paste entries necessarily mean that the cache is lame or that the finder is being ungrateful. I believe it is just a style of writing and no more than that.

I think the bigger problem is when we have expectations of "appropriate behavior" for cache finders and read something into their comments that likely is not there.

Each good or even marginal cache site will have its fair share of interesting comments. Every great cache will have some boring find logs. I find that it balances out quite satisfactorily overall.

No one can ever accuse me of short logs and not enough pictures! :blink: I've been accused of breaking the site when I log my caches. And I always try to say thank you.

you are, i suspect, part of that elite club who knows exactly hoe many characters your log can be before you have to spilt it into two logs.

and in response to something earlier that i'm too tired to quote or even clip- i have fairly low expectations. i do not EXPECT people even to adhere to my modest expectation of not defecating on the container.

still, in the absence of something good to rant about, i thought i'd take a little time to scrunch up my nose and stamp my tiny little feet, railing against cookie-cutter expressions of dim thanks. similarly, i do not enjoy being told to "have a nice day" by every cashier with whom i come in contact. if they REALLY want me to have a nice day, there are about a bazillion easy ways to express this without intoning the actual words to everyone who comes through.

i don't really care to dictate HOW you should log. my opinions are only that- my opinions. and everyone is entitled to my opinion. i just think it's unfair for me to laugh derisively behind your back when i could be forthcoming and direct. and you get another way of looking at things, which may not affect your behavior one bit.

it is important for me to know that others are often off-put by the way i answer my phone. (e.g., "yes, WHAT?" or "hello, is bob there?" or "WHY WON"T YOU PEOPLE JUST LEAVE ME ALONE?") it's my phone and ultimately i get to answer it in a fashion that pleases me. it is appropriate for me to know that others may not enjoy it as much as i do. information is power, my friends.