Another Newbie Q...

CharlieZulu

Hi folks:

We are new to all of this (13 found) and we need to understand the TB thing a little better.

While the concept of taking a TB from a cache and placing it in another (and logging it as such) is straightforward, I don't get the "grab" a bug thing...

When someone says on the tracking page that they've "grabbed" a TB, I gather this means that they've left it where they saw it, but it's some kind of virtual grab ??!!? What is the point of this? :lol::o

charliezulu

One cacher can hand over a TB to another to get it somewhere it wants to go. To drop it the second cacher must have in his/her inventory, so he/she must grab it.

There's also another use for grabbing. Lately I dropped a TB in a new cache of mine. Then I discovered that the longtitude for that cache was completely wrong which caused the travelled distance for the TB to be wrong. To correct this, I grabbed the TB, so I could drop it once more after having corrected the coordinates.

When someone says on the tracking page that they've "grabbed" a TB, I gather this means that they've left it where they saw it, but it's some kind of virtual grab ??!!? What is the point of this? :lol::o

I had to grab one this weekend, because the person who left it forgot to log that he'd dropped it off in that cache. I saw the log where he picked it up. I thought about prodding him to log it so it would get that extra bit of mileage, but it wasn't far. He's a caching name I know and it was obviously an honest mistake.

When you log a travel bug it gives you an option to choose, either write a note, or pick up the bug. If the bug is currently in a cache it will say "Retrieve from cache name________" If the bug is currently held by another cacher it will say "Grab bug from Cacher____________" If you pick up a bug from a cache, and you go to log it and it tells you to grab it from someone, but you know you took it from a cache, make sure you give that person time to log it into the cache you took it from. If it's days later, perhaps a friendly e-mail reminder to tell them you've got and need to log it will help speed up the process.

If it's days later, perhaps a friendly e-mail reminder to tell them you've got and need to log it will help speed up the process.

It was weeks later, and I didn't want to embarrass the guy :o

weeks, days, time is relevant. Don't worry, he may have forgotten and could appreciate the reminder, coming from someone who knows of him.