Damaged Display

Don't know about how to repair the glass (might be worth talking to your friendly neighbourhood jeweller - I hear that jeweller's rouge, an extremely fine grit, is often used to buff watchfaces, etc. so that might do the trick).

As for protection, there are a number of cases available for GPSr units which will protect from minor bumps and bashes.

Alternately, a suggestion I picked up from a digger is to make your own cover.

1) Get a sock (a nice use for odd socks)

2) Slide your GPSr into the tip of the sock and then trip the excess so that it fits snug

3) Cut a small slot into the toe of the sock and pass your GPSr lanyard through it.

Now when you need to use the unit you can roll the sock back and forth.

Not great for constant use, but handy for those times when you are transporting the unit and don't need to see the display all that often.

Luke

Two solutions for prevention and I use both frequently.

PDA screen protectors.

Find one that is close to the size you need then cut to fit with a razor.

I use screen protectors on my PDA all the time.

The other solution is clear packing tape.

Use oversize tape on the area needed and of course cut to fit with razor.

I use the tape on our watch faces, GPSr's, mobile phones, digital camera preview screen and other things. I do this even if I have a case with a clear vinyl protection screen because I had a case like this for a mobile phone a few years back. The vinyl started scratching the face.

When the tape looks a little worn or scratched, peel and stick some more.

If it is put on good, with no bubbles and trimmed with a razor right at the edge, nobody can tell it's there.

As far as scratch remover, I don't know.

My 5yo boy has seen one of those little info-mercials advertising the liquid glass scratch repair. We tell him not to scratch his glasses and he says we need to get that if his are scratched. I don't know how well that stuff works. I would like to hear from someone that has used it.

B) I will have to agree with spearfox, I use a pda cover and a custom made case for my 76cs. ONe day I was caching and took the case off, for some silly reason and placed my gps on a rock, went to pick it up it slipped out of my hand nad scrached the cover lens, peeled it off and put another one one.. looks good as new.. otherwise it would have been an ugly site....