Holy New Features, Batman!!!

Puttz

Got a Garmin GpsMap 76cs today and it is really loaded with features. I have started to use it and like the display very much. I do not know if I will ever learn all the unique things this thing will do. I bought a Magellan Meridian Gold on Saturday but took it back to Wally World and ordered the Garmin.

Is there a way to reset this unit to factory settings?

-Putz

According to the "Secret Startup Commands for Garmin handhelds" page (a search in Google will get you right to it), the way to reset a 76 series is as follows. This may work the same for the 76cs:

76/Map 76/Map 76S

The reported method to completely reset on of these units hold the "menu" key and the "quit" key down and then press the "power on" key. Hold for a full 7 seconds and then release. As with the other units all information will be lost and you will need to reload the almanac and all your saved user data to make the unit usable.

For the 76S try this sequence to master reset it. Press and hold quit, Menu, and the rocker down key. Then press and release the power on key. release the rocker down and wait for the welcome display. Now release the quit and menu keys.

After a reset

If you have to perform a full reset using one of the sequences shown above you will need to allow the unit to collect a full almanac before normal can be resumed. First a fix will need to be obtained which can take from 5 to 10 minutes of leaving your unit outdoors, stationary, with a good sky view. After the first lock you will need another 12.5 to 15 minutes to get the almanac reloaded. Check the date to insure that the information was reloaded properly. Time will be shown as UTC time since your local time offset was lost in the reset.

According to the "Secret Startup Commands for Garmin handhelds" page (a search in Google will get you right to it), the way to reset a 76 series is as follows. This may work the same for the 76cs:

76/Map 76/Map 76S

The reported method to completely reset on of these units hold the "menu" key and the "quit" key down and then press the "power on" key. Hold for a full 7 seconds and then release. As with the other units all information will be lost and you will need to reload the almanac and all your saved user data to make the unit usable.

For the 76S try this sequence to master reset it. Press and hold quit, Menu, and the rocker down key. Then press and release the power on key. release the rocker down and wait for the welcome display. Now release the quit and menu keys.

After a reset

If you have to perform a full reset using one of the sequences shown above you will need to allow the unit to collect a full almanac before normal can be resumed. First a fix will need to be obtained which can take from 5 to 10 minutes of leaving your unit outdoors, stationary, with a good sky view. After the first lock you will need another 12.5 to 15 minutes to get the almanac reloaded. Check the date to insure that the information was reloaded properly. Time will be shown as UTC time since your local time offset was lost in the reset.

Careful, a full reset deletes everything. All saved tracks, waypoints and maps. I'm not sure if this is what the OP wanted. I think he was just looking to return it to the factory settings after playing around with the thing. If he doesn't have any info on it yet, then a full reset should do the trick.

Thanks for all the info on the reset. I have not had time to play a lot wirh the 76cs yet but plan to on the first off day. I will look into a lot of things before the reset occurs. I like to play with the unit and after I have changed settings and played with them I think I would like a fresh start with a reset. Then I will know what each setting does and I can choose the ones I want.

For what reason did you decide to return the Meridian Gold?

I took the Meridian Gold back becuse I do not have a serial port on the laptop and If I was going to spend more money why not just go all the way land one that is a more feature rich. I also believe the 76cs is more to my personal liking. Since I am an "old codger" I can read the display without my reading glasses not so with the gold.

There is a way to reset it to factory settings. I could tell you how but I don't have mine with me right now. I think it's somewhere on the setup menu but can't remember for sure.

Had mine for about a month now and you are right....there are A LOT of features on the 76CS. I find something new on mine just about every time I use it. It's the first GPSr I've ever had or used so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I love mine. I can see a use for almost every single feature on ths 76CS. I may use some more than others but they all seem very useful and not just there for the sake of "keeping up with the Jone's". The silly "gps games" would be an exception....I don't see much point in those.

The only "gripe" I might have is that the basemap that Garmin puts on these units is as OLD AS DIRT!! There are major highways around here that have been in existance for 5-10 years and they are not on the map. They REALLY REALLY need to update their basemap. :unsure: Maybe they do that so you'll go out and spend 100 bucks on their detailed maps. I assume those are updated more often. :ph34r:

Not to hijack the thread ...but.... I know the firmware on these units is upgradable because I already updated mine to the latest release, but does anyone know if the basemap is upgradable? Or are you just stuck with what you got when you bought the unit? :blink:

Edited by drag-racer