Cache & Dash At Claude Moore Park, Sterling, Va

iplay

Geocachers and GPS owners--come one, come all. Here's your chance to hike Claude Moore Park, search for hidden treasure and compete for prizes. Not only will you have to find the permanent Claude's Vestals Gap Cache, but you'll have to find the event caches as well. Prizes will be awarded in several categories. Rain or shine. Stay after and chat with fellow geocaching friends in the historic area or grill out and enjoy a picnic. You do not need to own a GPS to participate. Event runs 8:30-11 AM on Saturday, September 25. Call 703-444-1275 for more information or to pre-register. Register by 9/17/04. FREE

I'd be surprised if anyone actually attends this event, considering the mysterious last minute cancellation of the last one iplay organized. Check out:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...78-7f2729a2beec

The stated reason for the cancellation of this event was, “unforeseen circumstances with staffing issues/complications.” This is an idiotic excuse. It only takes 1 person to organize and run a geocaching event. I know because I’ve done it several times.

The last minute cancellation is particularly inexcusable considering some folks came from several states away to attend this event. After seeing that, I wished I’d been public with my criticisms prior to the misfired event.

For those who don’t know, iplay is the Park Manager at Claude Moore Park. I can’t say she doesn’t know she the first thing about geocaching, because she does have 7 whole finds in the 3+ years she’s been a member, but I can confidently say she doesn’t know the first thing about geocachers.

Also for those that don’t know, iplay, forced the relocation of the original “Claude’s Vestal Gap Cache” from an environmentally sensitive area once she became aware of it in her park. Obviously, I have no complaints about that reason. However I do have an issue regarding where it was relocated. It was moved to a spot literally 2 feet off trail. Not much of a challenge. Read the logs:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...&log=y&decrypt=

I’m surprised it’s still there.

Just over a year ago I attempted to work with iplay to coordinate organizing an event in Claude Moore Park. I spent a day in the park picking up trash, and looking for good spots to hide caches. I emailed her all of the coordinates of the locations I’d selected pending her approval per her request. After all my work, she emailed me to tell me she didn’t want to do it on the date she’d previously selected, that maybe she’d think about it in a few months, and hoped there was no hard feelings. I’m sorry to say, I had a few hard feelings.

When she posted the “It Reeks” event, I told a few geocaching buddies about my experiences with her, but publicly, I kept my opinions to myself. But after she cancelled the event the night before, and now wants people to trust her again, I feel it is my duty to inform the geocaching community what they are getting into if they have the misfortune to attempt to attend this event. Be warned.

I look forward to someone picking up the ball here in Northern Virginia that Jorgy, Bigcall, and myself have carried, by organizing and hosting events, as it is possible that, as Bigcall has done, I may be soon leaving the area. After I’m not around I hope folks like iplay aren’t the face of geocaching in NoVA.

Thank you for your support. It's a shame that you aren't more informed about the cancellation of the "It Reeks" event. I was a co-sponsor of this event and did most of the planning; the manager of Banshee Reeks did not do any of his part and therefore, nothing was ready the day before the event. That's why it was canceled. I didn't feel it necessary to announce this to the public and therefore posted the nicest cancellation I could think of.

I'm sorry that you have such hard feelings about my operation here at Claude Moore Park. Several people have commented about the ease of finding Claude's Vestals Gap Cache and that it's perfect for newcomers. I also have worked with the owner of the other cache in the park and moved his cache to a better location, still close the trail, but better hidden.

You're right. I'm still a newbie to this sport. I don't get out a quarter as much as I would like to because work and other personal interests keep me from doing so. However, if you attend any of the events at Claude Moore Park, they are well organized and enjoyed by several thousand; so, to criticize my planning skills is unfair and awful harsh.

Somehow, I have personally offended you during the planning time for your event. At Claude Moore Park, we don't encourage much off-trail hiking, and you desired to have everyone go off trail. After reviewing your coordinates, I did not move forward with your event because you weren't willing to change them.

Again, I'm sorry for your disappointment with our operation. I wish you would have contacted me directly instead of posting a public criticism of me and Claude Moore Park.

Thank you for finally elaborating upon why the “It Reeks” event was cancelled. I’m sure you won’t be surprised when I tell you that I find this explanation to be insufficient. If I posted an event under my ID, I wouldn’t have relied upon anyone or blamed anyone else for the failure of the event. I would accept the responsibility and dealt with the harm to my reputation in the geocaching community. As far as anyone is concerned, you posted the event, so it is your responsibility to make sure it comes off.

I didn’t mean criticize your event-planning mien in general. I only meant it to criticize it as far as geocaching goes. I don’t think you know the first thing about geocachers, and you haven’t shown any interest in finding out about them either. Your interest is obviously your several hundred-acre stretch of NoVA, and that’s fine. As far as it goes, Claude Moore Park is beautiful, and I’m sure a lot of that is because of your efforts. However, in my opinion, your latest attempt at an event is catering to your ego, and not to the betterment of the geocaching community.

I remember our communications a little different than you do. All of the coordinates I selected were within 20 to 50 feet of established trails per your request. It’s hard to get much less off trail than that. You never asked me to select alternate coordinates, or even told me that you went and took a look at them for yourself. I’m guessing you didn’t even bother.

I posted this publicly, in the hopes that it would either help you hold a better geocaching event, or cancel it altogether, but in any event significantly prior to the night before. If you are interested in holding a geocaching event that geocachers will want to attend, communicate with some of them about what they want from a geocaching event. For what they're worth, here are a few of my opinions:

Geocachers prefer to find permanent rather than temporary caches.

Geocachers prefer adventure to prizes

Even moderately experienced Geocachers prefer challenging hides rather than caches in plan view of a trail.

If you’re interested, I can provide you with a list of over 50 IDs of geocachers in NoVA from whom you could ask for advise.

Good luck.