Foreign Countries (asia)

I am new at GPS (a map and compass guy) but I did my first Geocaching the other week and loved it. I could also use it for hiking ect. I am looking at the Garmin 60CS/C or the Meridian Platinum or Gold

I have three questions;

1.) I may be traveling to India/Nepal. Do USA GPS's work in Asia? Is there anything I would have to add to make them work in Asia?

2.) Could/where would I get maps for to import into my GPS for Asia?

3.) Are maps that are loaded into a GPS brand/model specific? Would a National Geographic Topo go into a Meridian and a Garmin, or if I had Garmin Mapsource Topo would it be able to load into a Meridian?

Thanks

I am new at GPS (a map and compass guy) but I did my first Geocaching the other week and loved it. I could also use it for hiking ect. I am looking at the Garmin 60CS/C or the Meridian Platinum or Gold

I have three questions;

1.) I may be traveling to India/Nepal. Do USA GPS's work in Asia? Is there anything I would have to add to make them work in Asia?

2.) Could/where would I get maps for to import into my GPS for Asia?

3.) Are maps that are loaded into a GPS brand/model specific? Would a National Geographic Topo go into a Meridian and a Garmin, or if I had Garmin Mapsource Topo would it be able to load into a Meridian?

Thanks

The GPS will work all over the world-OF course you should check to make sure it is legal in the countries you will be in.

Loading a Detailed map for Asia may be a problem, you might find city street maps but Topogrphic you are not going to find in most countries

Maps are brand specific Garmin can not be loaded into Magellan and Magellan can not be loaded into Garmin. National Geograhic can not be loaded into any GPS. Your other option would be to use a PDA with map loaded into the PDA and then hooking your GPS up to your PDA

If you get the 60C/S, then WORLDMAP would be your mapping choice. If you click the link, in the upper right corner is a link to the MapSource Map Viewer. Check it out to see the available detail. It ain't much, but it's better than nothing.

If you go with Magellan, then MapSend WorldWide Basemap would be your mapping choice. Unfortunately Magellan doesn't have a map viewer like Garmin does, so I guess you buy it in the blind. Maybe they don't want you to compare their maps with Garmin's. I dunno...