3 Newbie Questions.

Will_302

1. I was reading some of the old posts and came accross a big conversation about avatars. what are they?

2. Ive read the "how to place your first cache" article but I didn't understand what it told me about how to get accurate co-ordinates. somthing about marking a bunch of waypoints? could some one please explain it to me?

3. and, My garmin etrex already 4 waypoints marked on it. they are "garmin" "grmeur" "grmphx" and "grmtwn" could any one tell me what these pre-marked waypoints are?

thanx alot everyone

p.s. i just found my first cache, and am offically addicted. yay! :

The waypoints are corporate locations for Garmin. I assume that they are test points for Garmin when they service/setup the GPS and they do give you something to play with until you get your own waypoints in.

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

The waypoints are corporate locations for Garmin. I assume that they are test points for Garmin when they service/setup the GPS and they do give you something to play with until you get your own waypoints in.

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

Regarding your 2nd question about waypoint averaging. It's a waste of time. Just make sure you have a good signal and makr a single waypoint.

There has been a lot of discussion here about waypoint averaging, but the consensus seems to be that if you are getting a bad read to begin with, if you average, you'll just get an average of a bad reading.

So take a single reading, post those and if you get a lot of complaints, go back and try it again.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

Had some fun with my Garmin when I got a replacement one... Remember the GPS thinks it's in the last location it was when it was turned on. Since I already knew how to work the unit, I set it up in my GPS mount and started driving to work.

Of course, it takes a long time to find a whole new set of satellites - so for about 15 minutes it said I was in Taiwan.

At least I knew it was new and came from the manufacturing plant where it was last turned on.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

A few people seem to be implying that the yellow eTrex doesn't get reception as good as some other models. I didn't think that was the case; is this anecdotal evidence, or is there reason to believe more expensive units are any better at getting and keeping a signal?

I've only got yellow eTrex experience to go by, but it works just fine. With Hawkeye, I've found 25 caches, and never had a performance problem -- in trees, in canyons, whatever. I've only lost signal by putting it in my pocket. I've heard rumors that Magellan's units are better than Garmin's under tree cover, but I doubt anyone's conducted a study on it, and I've never encountered a problem, so if you're on a budget the yellow eTrex is a perfectly good solution. It's a good little GPSr. We use it when hiking and camping -- it saves tracks, knows sunrise/sunset times, and usually claims an accuracy of around 20ft. We're very happy with it. The translucent cases on the more expensive Garmins are pretty sexy, but I'm nowhere near tempted to upgrade.