Macintosh Computers And Garmin

Maddman

:anitongue: Can a Macintosh I mac work with a Garmin c60. Is there a way to run mapsource on a Macintosh. Not wanting to get into the whole debate about mac vs ........ But I was wondering if Mac users can interface with Garmin units. The Garmin site says NO! but I'm sure some intrepid soul has managed a way around it.

Maddman

:anitongue: Can a Macintosh I mac work with a Garmin c60.  Is there a way to run mapsource on a Macintosh.  Not wanting to get into the whole debate about mac vs ........  But I was wondering if Mac users can interface with Garmin units.  The Garmin site says NO! but I'm sure some intrepid soul has managed a way around it.

I haven't tried it, and can't vouch for it, but based on the web site, this product looks promising.

GPSBabel works with 60's serially and with OS/X. If you look on the GPSBabel pages, you'll see the initiative to work with Garmin/USB. I fully intend to support OS/X with USB, but will need help to get it over the finish line.

If I may say so, This is one reason that GPSBabel is important - it's not only free (as in beer) it' s free as in freedom - anyone is free to port it at any time to any platform they feel is important and can do it without my involvement since the source code is out there for programmers to honk on at will I think it's one of the very few geocaching-aware tools that works as well on OS/X, UnixWare, Solaris, and FreeBSD as it does on Windows. (What, you missed the Ultrix version of Watcher and EasyGPS? So did I...)

(And I get a lot of grief for not incluing OS-speecific features/optimizations in it, so if you appreciate someone holding a level playing field, be sure to not hurl brickbats as the next such ISV...)

I use a Keyspan high speed USB-Serial adapter and MacGPSPro. (www.macgpspro.com). You can do everything with your Garmin on a Mac that you can on a PC except upgrade the firmware and download mapsource maps into the unit. For that you must use Garmin's proprietary software which only runs on a PC. Virtual PC is good for this though.

Edit: you can't (as referenced in a previous post) do USB yet on the mac with the 60CS. Until then there's the trusty old Serial Port. Not sure if Virtual PC will let you do USB connection to the 60CS but I expect to find out next week when my new 60CS arrives.

Edited by lowracer