Adding State Databases

Pear Head

Would it be possible (in the future that is) to get some state databases included in the benchmark lists (or is this just a bad idea)? For example, MN has a large number of benchmarks that are not listed with NGS. In a recent trip I found about 35 state planted benchmarks (mostly DOT marks I think), 1 of which was listed with NGS.

Could the data be included in the GC.com database? I'm not suggesting entering them in as you find them - I'm suggesting presenting gc.com with a database of all current BMs in the state.

I sent an email off to contact at geocaching.com today.

The MN DOT database is online but probably not in a format that geocaching.com can use (it's in multiple PDF files for each county).

The database online is large - I wouldn't be surprised if it is 20k+ marks easy. Granted this isn't HUGE but it isn't all that insignificant either. Some are registered with NGS, some are not. Like I said, a recent trip where I found about 35 marks, only one was listed with NGS.

I'm curious what kind of a format they require and if they are interested in adding the data I obtain (should I be able to obtain it, which I would think is possible). No sense in contacting MN DOT for the data if geocaching.com has no plans on implementing it.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious in the FAQ for me. I knew I had read it before but just didn't see it at the time of my original posting.