Street Atlas Downloads

Conchcracker

I use Street Atlas to get to an area near the geocache and then use my GPS to find them. It would be great to have all the geocaches in my laptop and when I'm near one have it showing on the map. I can store more waypoints on the laptop than on the GPS and then I would not have duplicates from downloading from my GPS every time.

I did this very thing a few weeks ago. I manage my pocketquery info with GSAK. I used a filter that selects all the caches in the area I was interested in and exported these waypoints to a file for Street Atlas (GSAK has that feature for several mapping products); then loaded that into Street Atlas. Now the really cool part: I set up the laptop in my car and hooked up my Garmin Etrex with the serial cable that I normally use for filling it with waypoints. Then I had to do some fiddling with settings on the GPS and the Street Atlas software, but I got it to work where I had an arrow showing my location and direction, and all the waypoints that I had loaded into the map. All this worked because my daughter was driving; I would certainly have had a wreck if I had tried that while driving.

But as cool as it was, I have not done it since. The reason: in daylight in the car the screen on the laptop is nearly impossible to see.

Also, I have another toy: the Garmin iQue, which does all this and more without any of the obscurity. But if I did not have that, I probably would put up with drawbacks of the PC and set it up. Moving maps with caches on them are VERY cool!