Color Gps Unit Multiple Map Programs

flir67

hi everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my magellan sportrak color with a newer unit that has more functions and has multiple map prgrams for it with color detailmapping. the only thing I can think of is a ipaq pda.

such as streets and trips, macnally,etc.

does any body know of such a unit or small name company unit with a color screen I seen websites stating that the new color etrex is capabile of using nav man software and the usual mapsource.

I just want more detailed maps. I have heard metro guide is really good. but have not had the option to test it out.

thanks

mark----

A GPS map76C is pretty good, with 115 megs fixed memory, and an antenna connection on it's back for an external antenna. Does not have the infinint memory that the MeriColor has with it's memory cards.

With the MeriColor, you can use Topo and Direct Route on the Memory cards, and have the ability to switch mapsets on the same card, while out caching. The Display is not as daylight readable as the Garmin color series. I had tried a MeriColor for a Day.

I was thinking about upgrading my Vista to a 60CS. But when my Sharp organizer broke, I upgraded that to an Ipaq Pocket PC. It gave me color screen twice the size at least with full voice autonavigation (using Mapopolis) plus the ability to transfer my NG Topo 24K quad maps into it, I decide to use it for all road navigation and save the Vista for off road. Plus I didn't have to explaingn the expense to my wife :blink: since the PC gives me all the usual business functions as well ( calendar, TO DO's, COntacts, email (although I'm not using the latter). I can also slip in my digital cameras CF card to see larger pictures on the PPC.

Oh, one more thing. With a PPC and Mapopolis, you can tranfer all the cache waypoints and see their location on the road maps as you're driving. A handy feature. PLus all the paperless caching that the PPC will give you.

Edited by Alan2