Advice Required !

I've purchased 'Cachemate' from Smittyware.com and although I've managed to download into directory C:\ProgramFiles\cachemate-3.5.3zip, when I try to open the programme a dialog box opens stating 'Windows cannot find EASYGPS.EXE' followed by 'This program is needed for opening files of type 'ZIPFile'. I intend to couple 'Cachemate' with GSAK for use on a Palm IIIxe (bought off Ebay for the statutory 30 quid !), and already have GSAK loaded and in good working order on my PC. I don't think it's a question of registration, 'cos I've not yet reached the satge where I'm able to register (although I do have all the details).

So folks, what am I doing that I ought not to be doing, and what am I not doing that I should be doing, any ideas ?

By the way, I have gone down the obvious route of e-mailing Smitty ware but only receive automated replies about registration......

I've tried to download both with and without EasyGPS but in both instances I've had no success although with Easy GPS I am referred to another site, topo somethng or other dot com...

I'm running on Windows 95 but from what I understand, that should not be a problem.... I suspect that it could be something to do with the Zip File format as marc has suggested, any further ideas ?

Win 95 eh?

<fred dibnah>

Does it actually run?

</fred>

Could be that zip support is built in to XP, and that functionality is assumed by EasyGPS (which stole the association when it got installed/was run last time). Get Winzip (installing it should re-set the association with .zip) and extract the files manually. You should then have an installer.exe (or whatever) for your new toy.

Edited by aMatticle

I'm currently at work and my boss doesn't believe in spending money on such wasteful items such as upgraded IT systems and software (having said that I'm only running '95 at home but we intend to upgrade to a brand new system in September).

anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try and see what happens..... you seem to know what you're talking about, mind if I drop you an e-mail if I need any further assitance ?

Easy GPS I am referred to another site, topo something or other dot com...

Topographix is the company who developed EasyGPS, and have made it availible for free.

Could be that zip support is built in to XP,

XP has a unzip functionality built into it, I'm not sure about GSAK as I just drop the zip file straight onto it, and GSAK unzips for me, but I'm running XP Pro. Is there a way to go in and change file associations, as there is with later versions of Windows, it defiantly sounds like windows is associating Zip Files with Easy GPS.

Dave

I've purchased 'Cachemate' from Smittyware.com and although I've managed to download into directory C:\ProgramFiles\cachemate-3.5.3zip, when I try to open the programme a dialog box opens stating 'Windows cannot find EASYGPS.EXE' followed by 'This program is needed for opening files of type 'ZIPFile'. I intend to couple 'Cachemate' with GSAK for use on a Palm IIIxe (bought off Ebay for the statutory 30 quid !), and already have GSAK loaded and in good working order on my PC. I don't think it's a question of registration, 'cos I've not yet reached the satge where I'm able to register (although I do have all the details).

So folks, what am I doing that I ought not to be doing, and what am I not doing that I should be doing, any ideas ?

By the way, I have gone down the obvious route of e-mailing Smitty ware but only receive automated replies about registration......

Download a version of winzip for 95. Open winzip, then open your file and unpack the cachemate files. Install them on your palm via the hotsync.

Download a version of winzip for 95. Open winzip, then open your file and unpack the cachemate files. Install them on your palm via the hotsync.

Unfortunately Winzip 9.0 won't run on 95.

It'll have to be version 8.0 or 8.1 if you can find it. Let me know if you can't and I should be able to e-mail it to you.

Edit: to remove out of date link.

MarkGPX

Edited by MarkGPX