Magwayman (expired & Unreachable)

For a couple years, I've been using MagWayMan by Craig Soich. My only problem until now has been the expiration dates as it's a Beta program. Craig has done a wonderful job of fronteering a Macintosh program that interfaces with my Magellan Sport Track Pro GPSr.

Since the latest version expired on 7/1/04, I've written Craig but only get the following back:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its

recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

casoich@bellatlantic.net

I hope Craig reads this so we can continue using the program.

In the mean while, what other programs are available to operate on a Mac OSX to control my Magellan?

Edited by Green Achers
In the mean while, what other programs are available to operate on a Mac OSX to control my Magellan?

Update: MacGPSBabel (Freeware) works. It's not as useful as you can't preview or edit the GPX File your about to upload to the GPSr. However, it does translate everything into anything you want. It also preps the GPX File for the PDA if I recall from looking at it a year ago.

Any other choices available? [Pocket Quaries from Mac OSX to Magellan] ;)

I just downloaded TrueNav from http://www.truenav.com/ and I've only had an hour to try it. It appears to be a very solid Macintosh OSX program. It works with Magellan and Garmin (I have a Magellan). The only problem is that it doesn't seem to accept .LOC files directly, although it supports several formats.

Bytehoven

I just downloaded TrueNav from http://www.truenav.com/ and I've only had an hour to try it. It appears to be a very solid Macintosh OSX program. It works with Magellan and Garmin (I have a Magellan). The only problem is that it doesn't seem to accept .LOC files directly, although it supports several formats.

Bytehoven

That seems somewhat overpriced for what it does, and doesn't speak Groundspeak (.gpx or .loc) so isn't all that useful for geocaching.

--Marky

I just saw this post. I'm not sure why my email address would bounce, as far as I know, it's still active, judging from the huge amount of spam I get!

I'm still developing MagWayMan, but I don't have a stable beta available to release. I've rewritten the WebMap code to download the maps as tiles instead of individual queries, and set up a "caching" system (no pun intended), like a web browser, to hold tiles for later re-use. The Mapping routines are 75% done, but still have some bugs yet to squash.

Other items on my yellowing post-it note are:

• Route support (at least reading them in and writing them back out so they're not wiped during a sync.)
  • Map Printing
  • The ability to type decimal degrees in, and possibly DDMMSS.SS
  • Plotting the actual GPS icons in the popup menu and maps
  • Quick mapping via ZIP code search
  • The ability to do a 3-point calibration of user-scanned maps
  • and Custom Map Icons for cache types

If people still want to use this program, and don't want to wait, I can post the current build, with no promises for the Mapping function.

thanks

Craig S.

Can you not simply set your system clock to a date before the beta expired when you want to use it and then set it back to the current date when you're done?

I know it's a pain sometimes but I've done this myself when I want to continue using a beta past the expiration...