Treating Missing Cache As Virtual Until Archived

smirlespies

The way I look at it is this using a situation that I had: I looked for a micro near work and didn't find it. I looked 3 different times over a 2 week period. I looked back at the hint to check if I was correct and had looked at where it was. I saw that the cache had gone missing and had been replaced. I went back for a fourth time and the owner was doing a maintenance check and as he was leaving he told me it was there and in it's place. I found it mostly by the hint, but also by where he had stood while checking the cache, and looked at the place I had looked at before and found it.

Looking back on it now I should have logged the DNF and notes for the time period i tried to find it to try to help the owner note the problem, which he did by the DNF's of others. Now with the situation involved here I don't think I would claim a find as I did not find the cache, but if it was replaced and I went back and found it i would then log the find. If it get archived I would look at the experience of the hunt and enjoy that in itself.

It's amazing to me how many people here have said NO it's not a find.

Do they own the cache?  It's up to the owner and unless all these folks here own that cache they have no say in it.

That's fine. If that's the way you think it it should be, then I give you permission to log a find for this cache.

I mean it's in the US and you live in the US, so why not. You've probably even flown over it once or twice if you've ever visited the east coast.

Thanks Brian, it's logged :o

No thanks. :blink: For me I didn't find the cache unless I opened the container. I regard signing the log as proof I was there.

If the container was a type of puzzle to solve to open, it would certainly be part of the challenge so I would not log a find until I got it open.

I wonder if those that are so inclined to add to their find count avoid multi-caches. I'm working on a puzzle multi-cache. I have to find 10 metal tags before getting to the final cache. That's 11 finds to get credit for one find. That's a lot of work for a count of one but then I'm enjoying the journey and not in it for the count.