Need Help To Re-register My Laptop

JiMo

This still relates to an earlier post about my “New-to-Me” laptop. Everything is going great, What I need help with is how do I re-register it in my name? I’ve already gone on to the manufacture's website and did their update/transfer of ownership. I changed the information within user accounts, (owner, user ID).

When I look at Start, Control Panel, and System. It shows the previous owner as who it is registered to. How do I change this/update with M$? Or should I even bother with it? My thought was that if it was not registered to me it would cause some sort of conflict with other M$ products, i.e. M$ Office. The more detailed the instructions the less confusing it will be for me. Thanks for the help

Sounds like you need to look this up on M$'s site. The issue has to come up. Were I in your shoes though I'd reformat the entire laptop from scratch and remove all the old software, drivers etc. That in turn would have the desired effect you want plus give you a fresh start on the laptop. You would be suprised at how much faster the laptop runs without all the software clutter.

One major problem NO DISK'S. I know, I know. You would not believe how much I paid for this even if you would have been their yourself. After talking to her for awhile she finally decided to let me have for the $$$ I was offering. She said that She had the disks, just not at that time. I'm supposed to be getting them in about 2 weeks after, vacations and such. So maybe it will have to wait until then.

As a professional IT guy (8 years in the field) I say dont worry about it if its just the name you see when you install programs, etc.

That field is not really of any importance, and it doesnt affect the operation of the unit.

Now as it was mentioned earlier, if it WAS purchased out of the back of a car, etc. then it might be a bigger deal. In that case I would scratch out the serials, and have a techie freind wipe it clean and start over. :P

NO it did not come out of the back of a van. :( It was purchased from somebody that I work with. Long story short, she had many problems with the interface between the keyboard and chair, :( she knows somebody who is very tech savy, he all of the disks right now. Between him being on vacation, her next week, and myself the following week, it will be about 3 weeks before I get the disks. I was just hoping that I could get this done now. Thanks for the input :wacko: