Long Island

BlackBuck

Just wondering what the furthest hike is on long island is,What i really want to know is how far can you walk with out crossing a road.Beaches dont count,my best guess would be some where in the pine barrens.I know there are some long hikes but im looking for the most remote spot.

I think you're right about it being in the Pine Barrons. Other that that I would say the RCA trails in Rocky Point. Believe me I was there today. It's over 5000 acres of preserve. That's my best guess.

Unfortunately that property is managed by the DEC. If you ask anyone at the DEC in our region they with either tell you they have to idea what you're talking about of that geocaching is OK as they allow mountain biking and paintball. However, no caches can get approved on our DEC property.

This is a great site if you haven't found it already. www.hike-li.com/ Try emailing Ken, he is a wealth of knowledge.

My idea is to hide a cache with no shortcuts so wherever you come from its still a hike.which isnt as easy as it sounds. ...well back to my maps.p.s .is ken ok with geocache's?

That's a cool idea and definitely not easy here on the Island. We need to work on this DEC issue. With that out of the way it would be easy.

Ken is cool with caching. He is the main guy that does maintenance on the Paumanok path. I am thinking of holding an event/hike along the PP and he is very willing to help out with which route to take. He even put a link to our LI geocaching site on Hike-LI.com.

On a side, he is desperately looking for volunteers to help with maintenance of the PP and I'm sure other trails as well. I have agreed to help him map the path from scratch since it has not been done. There are even some sections that don't really exist yet as I understand it and we could help build them. Send him an email, I'm sure he'll be happy to hear from other cachers willing to help out. He's a great ally for issues like the DEC.

I was just exploring the Paumanok Path last week out near the Noyac or North Sea area and found a section of the trail that was just cut right off with this 6 foot chain link fence that just goes from a new sports park straight into the woods. Right across the path with no way around. This real cool trail just comes to a dead end. A brand new fence. My guess is they're losing this battle to continue the path to Montauk.