Downloading Waypoints

ETdave

I have eazygps. When I click the download waypoint icon on the geocaching site my computer tries to put the file on the desktop(which is ok if it would just do it). I don't know much about easygps but I havn't been able to finds a place in that program to download files from the internet.

Is there some configuration thing I'm overlooking?

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try. When I was at work I downlaoded 4 .loc files with no problem. I think my firewall here at the house has to be gonfigured to allow me to download from the site.

I'll update when I figure it out or have to ask for more help.

EasyGPS and GSAK can't do you any good until you have the file on your system.

When you click the little icon you should get the standard download dialog -

tell it where to put the file - I created a folder in My Documents called GPS - under that is a WayPoints folder. Then I can put them into GSAK.

Are you able to download any other files? Do you have your security cranked up so that you can't donwload anything at all? Turn off the firewall and see if it works.

---------------------------

To enable or disable Internet Connection Firewall

Open Network Connections

Click the Dial-up, LAN or High-Speed Internet connection that you want to protect, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.

On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall, select one of the following:

To enable Internet Connection Firewall (ICF), select the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.

To disable Internet Connection Firewall, clear the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.

I was using MSN. I have DSL so I just opened IE and have had no problems. There is something about MSN that the geocaching site doesn't like or MSN doesn't like about geocaching.

The bottom line is I have a way to get waypoints to my GPS without manually inputting them.

Thanks for the help everyone.

It may be that winxp has the .loc extension mapped to a program that is trying to launch or something.

A couple of suggestions: First, do a right mouse click on the file and select Save Target As... and save the file that way.

Or like others suggested, if you install a program like easyGPS or GSAK, it may change the association for you in winxp and fix the problem.

Good Luck!

Tim P.