Help For Vacationing Geocacher

Sudak

Greetings from the Colonies,

Sudak from San Diego, here. Thanks for reading my posting! I will be headed into LHR soon to begin my holiday and was hoping to meet up w/ some fellow geocachers along the way. After a few days in London, I will be headed south to catch up w/ the Tour De France and visit w/ friends in Switzerland. My plan is to buy a 2nd hand small motorcycle there in London and drop off TBs all along the way south. Can anyone tell me the best publications to look for to find used motorcycles? Would anyone care to put a fellow geocacher up for the night (happy to reimburse you for your trouble, of course!)? Please email me direct at toobz007@hotmail.com if you can help me out! I would be very grateful! Also, please feel free to view my details at the main www.geocaching.com website. Key in 92116 in the main page's zip code box and look for my two caches on the first page "Red Skies and Spies at Night" & "Buster Groovedog's Entertainment Cache". Thank you so much and I look forward to meeting you soon!

When I was last involved in buying and selling secondhand motorcycles, MCN was always the publication.

I am a bit concerned that with the current tight rules on registering ownership, paying for road tax and insurance requirements that have to be met before doing this, buying a bike as a tourist may be difficult legally. Best bet, make sure the machine will have sufficient Tax (check the disc) and MOT (if over three years old) for your stay - this will pretty much guarantee a private sale as dealer's vehicles are rarely taxed and taxing is not much fun as it involves a document check which is hard to organise if you have to wait for insurrance documents.

The seller will need to inform the DVLA who they have sold to to avoid responsibility for any speed cameras you might trigger etc, and failing to register your ownership of the vehicle will be a further offence. Being a visitor you may find people reluctant to sell to someone not resident in the UK in case they end up responsible for fines, endorsements etc.

It may be better to look for bike hire - although that is not easy to find in the UK, especially if you are not returning to base.