Ique 3600

My FIL bought a Magellan Meridian Gold but is returning it tomorrow. He didn't like the difficulty in creating customized routes.

His next option is the iQue 3600. He wants to create customized routes between Texas and Wisconsin - including a return trip over a more easterly route. Therefore, he needs LOTS of memory. Hence, the iQue idea. They also like the idea of being able to point to things with the stylus.

I've heard bad things about the battery. Would this still be a good option for them, considering it will be used in the car for street directions - not for offroad geocaching excursions?

Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of? My own personal experience is with Garmin V using MapSource data and GSAK.

I'd recommend the gpsmap76C, but I don't think the 115MB would be enough to get him to Wisconsin and back by two widely varying routes.

Any thoughts? I hate to send him in the wrong direction, and they want to order this tomorrow (Wednesday) in order to have it on their trip Friday. They are not the most tech-knowledgeable folks. That's another reason I thougth the straight gps would be easier, but then there's that memory issue... and their infatuation with that iQue screen.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

GeoSprite

Who now also has caught the gps bug and is trying to hold back from getting a 60C. :)

Oops... other details (aka questions <G>) were left out.

I know that Mapsource mapsets can be sent to the iQue. Can one also send waypoints and/or routes made in mapsource to the iQue? Or does all the routing, etc. have to happen in the gizmo, itself?

GeoSprite

On my iQue I don't know of a way to send a route to it. But it is easy to make one on the unit. just choose where you want to go, let it make a route there then add via points by choosing a waypoint (which you can transfer from mapsource), finding an address, point of interest or or just use the stylus to point at sone part of the map. Once you make a route on the iQue you can save it for later use.

I have an iQUE 3600, and it has proved a great caching GPS. I did add a 512M SD stick so now I have more than enough memory for topo maps, etc. Cachemate works well, but all entries in Cachemate must first be entered in the iQUE address book - as a waypoint. Then the mapping part of the iQUE will function for routing. Funny, but if the minimum map scale for the iQUE was say- 50 feet - instead of 120 feet, you wouldn't need Cachenav. Still I use the iQUE map to get me close to a location using the setting "track up" in GPS preferences. I wonder how rugged any GPS device really is - any device that gets dropped onto concrete is almost a gonner, but I know that most PDA'S would really suffer.

Basssax

(Kim Warner) email me at kmwarner@duratekinc.com for a more convient response.

One of the problems I had with setting up my customer's IQue 3600 was we ran into a glass ceiling with a size limitation of the map. According to Garmin's CS, the max you can expect to make for a usable map is 140MB. Go beyond that size and data will be dropped to accomodate including the larger region. That data can include POI's, streets, cities, or small towns. We experienced the last three. She wasn't interested in POI's so we didn't confirm if that was lost too.

Edited by TotemLake

That's good to know. Without very much research, it "appears" that one is only limited by the size of the SD card. My FIL was able to upload map sections from Texas to Wisconsin... and another set following another route back. It took roughly 90MB, so he should be fine with that. It makes me wonder why they bother to accept such huge cards when you can't utilize them fully.

GeoSprite