First Cache

Osmirik

I've already got a couple of locations for caches in mind. I intend to wait until I've found a few more before I place any, but after reading the guidelines, I have a couple of questions:

-Is it acceptable to place a multicache that specifies the location of the actual cache based on base coordinates, and a heading and distance (eg, as used by the 'project waypoint' feature on most GPSes? The heading and distance would be based on items at the site - the elevation (on a sign), the date something was placed at, etc.

-The place I have in mind has a great view, and I'd like to show fellow geocachers that. However, the scrub I'd hide it in is on the fairly steep slope just below the road, so I can't hide it far from the road, but I'm pretty certain it'd be sufficiently well hidden from the road unless you knew where it was. Is that good enough?

Is it acceptable to place a multicache that specifies the location of the actual cache based on base coordinates, and a heading and distance (eg, as used by the 'project waypoint' feature on most GPSes? The heading and distance would be based on items at the site - the elevation (on a sign), the date something was placed at, etc.

Using a heading and distance offset is fair game. I've just finished placing a six stage multicache that does exactly that. One thing to consider is that not all GPS units will work exactly the way yours does. To avoid limitations on some GPS units, I made sure that all the headings were in multiples of ten degrees, and that all distances were in multiples of ten metres. It's probably not needed, but I'm not going to take the chance that someone won't be able to find my cache because of equipment limitations.

The place I have in mind has a great view, and I'd like to show fellow geocachers that. However, the scrub I'd hide it in is on the fairly steep slope just below the road, so I can't hide it far from the road, but I'm pretty certain it'd be sufficiently well hidden from the road unless you knew where it was. Is that good enough?

Sounds good to me. One thing to take into consideration though, what's it like at all times of the year? Will the vegetation die back in dry weather, leaving the cache exposed? Will winter make the slope too slippery to be safely climbed? Also, what's the parking like? Is it safe to park the car on the side of the road, or would there be a better spot nearby?

-The place I have in mind has a great view, and I'd like to show fellow geocachers that. However, the scrub I'd hide it in is on the fairly steep slope just below the road, so I can't hide it far from the road, but I'm pretty certain it'd be sufficiently well hidden from the road unless you knew where it was. Is that good enough?

I would say this would be an okay place to hide a cache. Just make sure you give some of the details on the cache page. I'm not saying to tell them exactly where it is but make mention of the fact that the hillside is steep and choose the appropriate terrain difficulty rating.

There are quite a few cachers that are disabled and they like to know what the terrain is going to be like so they will know in advance if it's going to be a cache they can go for.

Edited by Imajika

Is there a adobpt-a-highway program or something similair here? If a road crew came by searching for litter, they might find your cache. Make sure that it couldn't be confused as litter, or hide it so they wouldn't stumble across it.

--RuffRidr

Ok, a couple more questions:

Would a cache that typically takes a ferry ride ($10NZ) to reach the island it's placed on be acceptable? The island _could_ be accessed with own boat/kayak/swim (if you're really fit!) etc.

How about a cache where the clues required to reconstruct the location are placed in the logs or contents of other caches?

Would a cache that typically takes a ferry ride ($10NZ) to reach the island it's placed on be acceptable? The island _could_ be accessed with own boat/kayak/swim (if you're really fit!) etc.

Since it is possible to boat there yourself, I would guess that it wouldn't be seen as a commercial cache, particularly if you explained that for those without the vessel or inclination, this was an alternative.

How about a cache where the clues required to reconstruct the location are placed in the logs or contents of other caches?

This could be a problem for cache maintenance. What happens if suddenly a cache goes missing or is archived? Even if you own the cache but it is plundered, suddenly you have two caches down at the same time. And if it belongs to someone else, you are dependent on that person's cache maintenance and on not changing the pertinent aspect of the clue cache. I'd stick with permanent fixtures or at least to my own caches.