Upgradeing Pda's

I would like to upgrade from a Zire to a Zire 31 what's involved? Do all I need to do is Hotsync from the old Zire software? or do I need to re-input all my data onto the new Zire 31 software? If I name my new PDA the same, can i just download Cachmate and use my existing unlock code?

I would like to upgrade from a Zire to a Zire 31 what's involved? Do all I need to do is Hotsync from the old Zire software? or do I need to re-input all my data onto the new Zire 31 software? If I name my new PDA the same, can i just download Cachmate and use my existing unlock code?

Here's the trick that I tell people.

1. Hotsync your old Palm 2 times. This will force all databases to be backed up properly.
  2. Insert your new Palm in the cradle (or attach the USB cable) and Hotsync
  3. It will ask you what user name you want for the new Palm. Choose your existing name from the list.

At this point, your new Palm will have all your old data in it and you probably won't even need to re-enter your registration code because the databases were backed up from the old Palm. This isn't 100% guaranteed for all apps because some programs don't set the "archive bit" on their databases, but most do.

I would then suggest that you do a cold-reset on your old Palm (press the reset pin in the back with the power button held down) and force the old Palm to reset itself back to the factory state. This will prevent you from accidentally Hotsyncing two different devices to the same user name. While this isn't a cause for great alarm, it can screw some things up. The Palm desktop software assumes that each user name equates to one device.

-E