Venture And/or Clie Users

I have asked this on a different post a few weeks ago, and someone with a similar setup gave me some good suggestions. However, after contacting Garmin and getting shoddy answers, and checking all sorts of Clie forums, I am going to ask here again.

Does anyone have their Venture connected to a Sony Clie? I have an SJ-22 and a cable that connects the two together succesfully. Howerver, when I try to send waypoints via Cachemate and the Garmin upload plugin, I get an error in Cachemate, saying the GPS is not responding. I've tried every setting, baud rate, etc.

I've spent 80 bucks on cables already. I'm starting to think that these two devices, no matter what the cable salespeople tell me, do not hook up to one another.

Someone prove me wrong, please! <_<

I too have a Legend and an SJ22 Clie. However I haven't tried to link the two.

What is the benefit of downloading from the Clie? Does that just get around the Garmin's waypoint limitations to extend the number of caches you can effectively carry around?

I too have a Legend and an SJ22 Clie. However I haven't tried to link the two.

What is the benefit of downloading from the Clie? Does that just get around the Garmin's waypoint limitations to extend the number of caches you can effectively carry around?

Yes.

However, technically you can carry the waypoints in the PDA using Cachemate (or something similar) and you don't necessarily need to upload the waypoints to the GPS. But it helps if you are in the field, and decide you want more waypoints in the GPS that weren't there. (if that makes sense).

Also, in theory, if the two are hooked up with a cable, certain mapping software on the PDA can show your tracking in real time.

That's my goal, but so far, it hasn't been working out.

I have a Legend and a SJ-22 and a cable to link. I use Cachemate. I've not had any trouble with the downloads. Do you have the most recent version of Cachemate. I've got v.3.5.2 and again, no problems.

The cable is in the truck, so right now I can't hook it up to see what happens and try and give you any suggestions, just wanted to let you know I'm having no problems. If you are, I'll try later to offer any suggestions.

Edited by harleycache

I am assuming you have the serial or y cable with serial and USB connectors. Then you use a null modem connector between this and the serial cable to your GPSr. This does not work. I have just researched using my CLie TJ25.

From what I can determine, you can go one of two ways. One is to buy cable #PSTGS from these guys: PC-Mobile

The other way is to make a null modem with positive voltage of about 6V to the #4 pins. See this site for a good explanation of the solution: GPS Interface for Sony Clie T/NR/NX/SL/SJ Series

Also, read this work: Connecting a PDA to a GPS Receiver

Wow, thanks everybody for your help and suggestions. Appreciate it. :back:

I have a Legend and a SJ-22 and a cable to link.  I use Cachemate.  I've not had any trouble with the downloads. Do you have the most recent version of Cachemate.  I've got v.3.5.2 and again, no problems. 

The cable is in the truck, so right now I can't hook it up to see what happens and try and give you any suggestions, just wanted to let you know I'm having no problems.  If you are, I'll try later to offer any suggestions.

I'm using a Venture. I would guess that it wouldn't matter -- it's still a Garmin. I'm pretty sure I have the most recent Cachemate, but I'll double check when I get home tonight. Thanks.

I am assuming you have the serial or y cable with serial and USB connectors.  Then you use a null modem connector between this and the serial cable to your GPSr.  This does not work.  I have just researched using my CLie TJ25. 

From what I can determine, you can go one of two ways.  One is to buy cable #PSTGS from these guys: PC-Mobile

The other way is to make a null modem with positive voltage of about 6V to the #4 pins.  See this site for a good explanation of the solution:  GPS Interface for Sony Clie T/NR/NX/SL/SJ Series

Also, read this work:  Connecting a PDA to a GPS Receiver

Thank you. I will look into this.

As I found, Clies like the SJ22 (a very good PDA for the money btw) need a special lead to talk to devices other than computers as no-one is supplying the necesary voltage. The lead (availabel from PC-Mobile) fools the devices into talking to one another.

Do you agree that I need #PSTGS? (Since I have a Venture)

Is the interface on the GPS set to"Garmin"?

I've tried every setting, so that's what made me think it was the cable. If it is indeed supposed to be set to Garmin, I will make sure that I keep it that way. Thanks.

If in doubt, send pc-mobile an email sony2@pc-mobile.net and tell them which Clie and which Garmin you've got and they'll tell you which cable you need.

I originally ordered the wrong cable, but within moments, realized I had probably done so. I promptly sent them an email, they cancelled my original order and redid the order for the right cable.

I got part # GEST6 for the SJ-22 to Legend.

edited to add part #

Edited by harleycache