What Terrain Rating Is This?

Delta-S

I'm pondering my first hide - a traditional cache less than 1/4 mile from good parking. Dirt road and single-track trail.

Upon getting close to the coordinates the finder must cross a creek. Maximum depth is three to four feet depending on how late in the summer. Water is moving, but not so that one could get swept away. Width of creek is about 12 feet.

Cache on the far side within 20 feet of the creek.

Sound like fun? What terrain rating should it have? Other suggestions?

I'd probably give it a 2.5 for terrain. It seems to be between the definition for 2 and 3 stars. It probably would be a 1.5 or 2 without the water crossing. That kicks it up at least a half star.

** Suitable for small children. (Terrain is generally along marked trails, there are no steep elevation changes or heavy overgrowth. Less than a 2 mile hike required.) 

*** Not suitable for small children. (The average adult or older child should be OK depending on physical condition. Terrain is likely off-trail. May have one or more of the following: some overgrowth, some steep elevation changes, or more than a 2 mile hike.) 

Edited by briansnat

put it through clayjar's system, whose address i don't have handy, but there's a link to it on the cache form.

it's not perfect, but it gives a good idea of what to use. wading does not require special equipment, nor does a short swim, although if you want to be nice you can give this information in the description. sometimes i'm nice, sometimes i'm not.

Creek 12 foot wide and up to 4 foot deep.

I'd say there's some use of the hands to negotiate the crossing considering at best there is a 4' change in elevation in 6' of travel. Plus dealing with wet clothes and securing belongings against a dunking.

I'd say a strong 3 to 3.5 myself.

Granted, I haven't seen the site, but it sounds like stuff we come across all of the time. You'd have to climb down, cross, and climb up. I'd say a strong 3, at least.

Another thing to consider is how easy it is to avoid the crossing. Can you go around or come in from the other side? Many times there is more than one route.

I'd rate this out at a 2.5 to a 3.0, more likely a 3.0 because of the water crossing. If it weren't for the water crossing, it's a 2. The issue is, how far to bump it up. If there's no way to cross without swimming/wading/getting really soaked, that points me upwards to a 3.0.

I am recalling a certain cache where I waded a knee-deep, 70 foot wide stream full of very cold March snow runoff, with my pants, boots and socks worn around my neck. In midstream is when the five ATV riders passed along on the trail running down the opposite creek bank. :rolleyes: That cache was rated as a 3.0, and the hike was a couple of miles round-trip.

I'd rate this out at a 2.5 to a 3.0, more likely a 3.0 because of the water crossing. If it weren't for the water crossing, it's a 2. The issue is, how far to bump it up. If there's no way to cross without swimming/wading/getting really soaked, that points me upwards to a 3.0.

I'd say 2.5 because the hike to the cache is under 1/4 mile and the stream is only 12 feet wide. Heck if you're Carl Lewis, you can jump over that.

The sticking point with me is the fact it can be up to 4' DEEP and only 12' across. That tells me you're going to be using your hands.

But if there is a log across it nearby, or some other way to cross without going down into the water, it negates that and is back to 1.5 to 2.5 depending on far away the alternative is and how you have to negotiate it.

ADDED: Another way to look at it. How far would you walk on a cool brisk day to avoid getting wet? (Discounting on a hot day you might take a dunk just to get wet and cool off.) Add that to the "hike" and call it a day.

Edited by CoyoteRed