Pocket Queries

KG7JE

Could a sort option be added to Pocket Queries?

a. No sort

b. Distance from Origin

c. Cache ID

d. Cache Name

Since GPX Sonar doesn't sort the output to the .loc file and GPS Tuner doesn't sort period, I'm having a tough time locating the Waymarks in the drop down list.

So, I'm going back to the source and seeing the the GPX file could be sorted in some pre-defined and optional manner.

This really should be a client-side problem, not a server side one. I'm a little suprised the two apps you cite won't do this, but there are other tools that can.

I suspect GSAK can do this.

GPSBabel's proximity filter will sort by distance from origin unless you tell it NOT to. I have a hack laying around that introduces a filter that sorts by shortname (which doesn't currently work like a geocacher thinks it could because "GCEEE" is older than "GC1234", contrary to what a librarian will tell you) or by description. I never added it because nobody seemed interested when I floated the idea on the mailing lists.

I wouldn't be opposed to cleaning this up and adding it to the tree (and adding the logic to decode the dorky base 31 numbering junk for types geo and gpx with Groundspeak extensions) if there's actual interest in solving C and D in your list.

If you have a GPX file, why do you need a .loc at all? What do you have that consumes LOC that doesn't reorder as you want?

You can use GPSBabel to reorder your GPX and make you a LOC as per your category B. You didn't say if you'd be interested in a GPSBabel that would do C or D or not.

GPS Tuner still requires a .loc file. I understand that the next release will be able to read the .gpx file directly. My main problem was locating the waypoint to set it as a target in GPS Tuner. (GPX Sonar already allows the display to be sorted in a number of different ways).

However, I stumbled across a shortcut in GPS Tuner today. When you tap the map a drop down menu appears. If the tap was close to a cache then the top item on the menu is the cache name. I've tried tapping or tap/holding on that with nothing happening before. However, that's without the GPSr card being installed. Today with the card in place and activily tracking the position I accidently held the cache name a little longer and another drop down menu showed up that let me set the cache as the target. Yippee! I may not have to scroll through that long random waypoint listing any more!

Now, if only GPS Tuner and GPX Sonar would merge together! That would be an awesome package.

GPSBabel's proximity filter will sort by distance from origin unless you tell it NOT to. I have a hack laying around that introduces a filter that sorts by shortname

I committed the 'sort' filter to GPSBabel recently. Now (well, if you build from source; if you need a binary, it'll be in the next beta or release) you can do all three of those sorts in your GPX or LOC files with GPSBabel.

And I went ahead and addressed the numeric sort issue that Imentioned earlier...