Best Gps For Geocaching? Geko 301?

until now, i use a garmin gps45.

this unit hat 2 things i do not really like:

- position is shown with a tolerance of about 35ft at it's best. when entering a forest, tolerance increases to about 70ft, which is quite a lot to find a cache.

- to get a reliable bearing, you have to walk at about 2mph, or the bearing indicator directs you to 'anywhere'.

so i think about buying another gps device, and limit the usage of the gps45 to the car, where it works quite well with the external antenna.

which gps receiver is the most recommended for geocaching?

i read about the new garmin geko 301. it has waas, to reduce tolerance downto 3-10ft, as well as an integrated compass, to get reliable bearing even when standing still (according to advertisement).

does anyone have experience with this device?

is another one more recommended?

thanks for your help!

churinga

The Geko use AAA batteries and the compass and barometer are heavy energy users so I can only imagine that you'd be disappointed with the battery life of a 301.

For not much more money, you can get a Vista which also has a compass and barometer but many more features including a much better display resolution.

There are some on this board that my try to talk you out of the e-compass, but personally, I'll never go without one again.

You might also want to consider an eTrex Summit or even better the 60CS.

Edited by Rubberhead

A few notes:

1) For the basic line of Garmin/Magellen units, price doesn't affect the accuracy. Price reflects all the other little things that come with it.

2) WAAS is not all that it's cracked up to be. Do a search on WAAS and the most common phase you'll find is "I keep it turned off".

3) Don't trust the unit to tell you how accurate it is.

From your bearing comment, it sounds like you'll want a unit with an electronic compass.

I have to agree with the reccomendation for an electronic compass.

In the Garmin world that's a Vista or the 60CS. They do have a 76CS but that's larger and I'm thinking you are after smaller if you want the Gecko.

Anyway they are all accurate enough now for your purposes though a forest will reduce that accuracy on all of them.

It's a matter of which one best fits what else you want out of a GPS.

Maybe the Vista as it's closer to the Gecko than the 60CS.