QUARTER OF A MILE OFF

looney

HI THIS IS LOONEY AGAIN. THANKS FOR THE IMPUT. I WROTE EARLIER ABOUT BEING OFF A QUARTER MILE, WELL MAYBE NOT QUITE. WENT BACK TO THE CACHE (I FOUND IT WITH CLUES AS IT'S LOCAL) AND TOOK MY POSITION.(SHOULD HAVE DONE THAT BEFORE, DAH!)

MY MAGELLAN 310 READING WAS -.194(DEGMINSEC)LAT, AND -.113 (DEGMINSEC) LON. DIFFERENT FROM THE POSITION GIVEN ON THE WEBSITE. I AM NEW AT THIS, BUT THE DIFFERENCE IN MY LOCATION AND THE CACHE IS ONLY 2.9 MILES. OTHER HAVE FOUND THIS CACHE, THE CLUES ARE GOOD, IS THAT HOW THEY ARE FINDING IT OR ARE MY POSITION READINGS THAT OFF, SHOULD

I TRY CLEARING MY GPS AND STARTING OVER?? THANKS FOR ANY ADVISE YOU CAN GIVE ME. icon_confused.gif

I found a cache that was about 1/2 mile off. The only way I found it was because someone like you had already had the bad experience and had posted corrected coordinates. Sometimes you have to wonder how a GPS unit could be that far off, especially since the area was not even heavily wooded. My advise is to you is to post your corrected coordinates so the next cacher can find it.

lost? Keep going. You're making good time anyway!!

If you enter 24.484 minutes as minutes.seconds (MM.SSS), you get an actual coordinate of 24.807, which is off by .323 minutes, which is 19.4 seconds (you would see at as .194).

Likewise, 36.288 would give you an apparent "error" of .110

These are exactly the numbers you see, so it is clear that you have your GPS coordinates set to DD MM SSS instead of DD MM.MMM; otherwise, your GPS is working fine. Set it correctly and you'll find caches much more easily!

I dont know about the Magellan 310, but my Meridian GPS has put me withing 2 feet on three caches and within 8 feet on the other 4 caches I have found so far ( a total of 7 - just another newbie here)....

I think with this statment I am trying to say that the Magellan product is accurate.

Would seem if **data** is entered correctly for cache and GPS unit, you could literally stand on top of cache and unit would say "your standing on top of it"!

Dale

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Diagonally Parked, In A Parallel Universe.

--------------------------------------------------------