60c Route Calculation

I tried this the other day for S&G using city select. Unfortunately, I prompted the gps to follow the route after I was a couple of miles from my house. It calculated a route back to my house to start back the way I was heading. In theory, you may be able to accomplish this. You will probably have to start following the route from the exact point it began in MG for it to be effective

Yes, sort of. If you tell it to go "Off Road" instead of "Follow roads" it will draw you a straight line to the nex waypoint. If you build a route in Metroguide with multiple waypoints, it will draw a line from one to the next. At least that is how it works for me, with Metroguide USA V4

As far as I've seen, the GPSMAP 60C will not honor routing information from any MetroGuide version other than MetroGuide USA 4. MetroGuide Europe doesn't list the 60 as compatible. The reason you're seeing different routes on the 60 with MGE is that the 60 is rerouting using its basemap. You need CitySelect to get working routes on the 60, it isn't compatible with routes transfered from MetroGuide.

thanks stormcrow42....it stinks that a route calculated on the pc does not reproduce itself on the 60c....looks like i am going to have to fork out megabucks to get city select europe .....it was reading this forum that i figured out that mg4.** usa could autoroute on the 60c...so i obtained a copy and used it on a recent vacation to your great country..and it worked perfect.strange later versions of mg usa do not, maybe garmin knew what was on the horizon with mapping gps's and took this feature off its software....

Unless I'm using the wrong function on the 60c, the GPSr doesn't keep the same route as what's done in NA CitySelect v5. Any ideas?

You are asking two separate programs, Mapsource software and 60c firmware, to create the exact same route. No different than trying to get Mapquest and Streets & Trips to always give the same route. They will not always agree.

When you ask Mapsource to create an autoroute in City Select from point A to point B then your route will consist of 2 waypoints only. If you want to force your 60 to autoroute the exact same route than you have to insert some "via points". How many would depend on overall distance and number of alternative turns etc.

Now when you ask the 60 to navigate the route it is forced to go to each point in turn (via road) until it reaches the final.

Hope that helps, Olar

whats so special about mg usa 4.* which lets it autoroute on a 60c/cs....is there an extra bit of software in it...i just wonder if there's a clever person out there that could delve into mg usa 4.* software and extract this ''patch'' so that it will allow other people with newer versions of mg to be able to autoroute on their gpsr......or am i expecting to much..

Nothing special in MG4 Usa compared to other versions :

It will let you download Auto-routing data into GPS. Other versions have that same data but mapsource will disable this feature... buy City select and its enabled again... just matter of money <_<

It's possible to use DOS program called sendmap to send map pieces (thru serial port) from newer versions of MG and it will send autorouting data also. So basically you will get autorouting in GPS but it's a long story, might violate copyrights and anyway it's quite tricky thing to do :lol: