Memory Map 2003 Will Fit 3d 2004

Hi Guys

Have discovered a trick to make the old Memory map 2003 maps work in the new 3D 2004 version.

Using a Hex editor - I used the freeware HHD Hex editor.

Copy the ****.qct file to a different location if you only have one copy of it..

Load it into the editor.

At the very end of the file are the words "*****edited by moderator*******"', or other date.

This needs to be changed to "*****edited by moderator*******t"

Use the scroll bar to go right to the end of the file and you will see the words there. Just change the one letter.

Save the file. Load it into the 2004 Memory map.

Check you have done it correctly by /map/maplist/edit and you will see the copyright notice at the bottom right has changed.

You will find that the date has changed to 2004 and this can be imported into the map to use with the 3D viewer.

I have tried this on my maps and it works a treat. The ariel photo maps will also work as well but don't need any alterations.

Hope this helps a few of you :) .

Happy geocaching

Mike

Edited by Lactodorum

Much as I admire your enterprise :) I fear that your original post runs very close to the wire in terms of breaching copyright. :D

As such, I'm reluctantly closing the thread. Sorry to have to do this but these forums have to remain "squeaky clean" in such matters. However your effotrs to try and help the wider Geocaching community are appreciated. :D