Placing a Cache

TinCup!

icon_rolleyes.gifI am wondering, My wife and I go to the mountains about once a year. I was wanting to place a cache there but it is over 300 miles from where we live. So obviously I would not be able to check on the cache but once a year. What is everyones thoughts on placing a cache that you will not be able to check on but once a year. icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

Once a year, in the mountains is more than enough to maintain the cache.

If it was urban and got 90 visits a year that's one thing. Your cache will be visited by more 'hard core' cachers and be visited less often. So it won't require the upkeep an an urban cache takes.

In other words don't hesitate. Especially if the area needs a cache.

Wherever you go there you are.

If you decide to do it, at the very minimum get the sturdiest container you can find, and do a good job of hiding it to avoid it getting plundered. I read the other thread and I happen to live in an area with several tourist caches. Ones got 3 no finds, was placed in tupperware, 5 feet off a trail on a golf course. I think its missing but having never found it, I could be wrong, the owner is aware of it but theres nothing he can do about it. Its no big deal, but its annoying to me to be at the top of my list every week.

Just like anything else, theres a right way to do it. Put in a little thought and effort and you can probably do a really nice cache.

When GPSr's are outlawed, only Outlaws will have GPSr's.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Once a year, in the mountains is more than enough to maintain the cache.

If it was urban and got 90 visits a year that's one thing. Your cache will be visited by more 'hard core' cachers and be visited less often. So it won't require the upkeep an an urban cache takes.

Heh, except by the bears. We've had a few caches that have needed upgrading and a couple have been archived due to wildlife damage. That's hard to do from 300 miles away.

For durability, the Montana cachers have been finding ammo cans to be pretty much ideal. If they are allowed in the area under question, I'd highly recommend using one.

Ron/yumitori

quote:
Originally posted by yumitori:

Heh, except by the bears. We've had a few caches that have needed upgrading and a couple have been archived due to wildlife damage. That's hard to do from 300 miles away.Ron/yumitori

True enough except the mountains are not necessarily close to anyone else either. And all my mountain caches are ammo cans.

Many of these kinds of places have more locations for caches than local cachers can possibley fill up. So people who recreate there shouldn't feal guilty placing a cache if they do use sturdy containers.

Wherever you go there you are.

I believe that Ruidoso, NM is in need of some caches. This the mountains where we go. I can't seem to find any caches there and this is where I am planning to place the cache. I was going to use an ammo box. How would I find a Geocacher in that area to see if they would help me maintain it?