Fugawi To Gps Problem

Can any of you guys out there tell me why I can't get my Etrex Legend to connect with my XDA2 running pocket Fugawi? I've tried what seems like every setting that you can make, but they just won't "talk" to each other. If any one has a similar set-up, would love to know how it works.

Many thanks

Gary

I assume you've got a known good cable.

Are you trying to transfer waypoints or have your position shown on the map?

Have to tried any other software (G7TOCE and GPSTuner spring to mind as likely candidates) to see if they can see the Legend?

If I remember correctly, the com port should be set to COM1 and the baud rate to 4800 or 9600. You will also need to make sure that the software and the GPS are set to the same protocol, be it Garmin or NMEA0183.

Shout if you need anymore help.

- Neil.

Neil, I'm shouting!!

I've got the Garmin cable going to an adapter and then the XDA2 cable going to from that to the XDA2. The XDA says port error on com 1, but will let me open com 2. The port open sign shows on the screen but that is all.

I would like to show position on the map when it works!! Tried setting garmin to Garmin and nmea out and in, but still will not work.

Never heard of the software you mentioned, will go and look for it.

Many thanks

Gary

Ensure you have the right connectors being as some battery powered devices need special leads to maintain a serial connection with other battery powerd devices. Some combinations cannot be made to work properly due to non-standard serial implementations.

I suggest you check out here - the operator of this websie is good at letting you know what is possible - PC Mobil XDA Page

I had simliar probs but with a ipaq.

I downloaded an evaluation copy of hyperterminal for Pda so I could see what was really coming into the comm port, whether it was good data/bad data/no data.

In the end I found out the portable keyboard was grabbing the comm port, although it said nothing was using it. Only one thing can use the comm port at a time (eg fugawi or tom tom or keyboard). Bad data would have told me wrong speed / protocol probs.

Hope this helps!

Kiteflyer

Apologies for not getting back sooner, busy couple of days.

Exactly what cable are you using from the etrex? The standard PC serial one?

And what cable are you using from the XDA?

I suspect that the problem may be that the pin outs for the two cables aren't the same and that the signal simply isn't getting through.

GPS Warehouse do an etrex to pda adapter cable, which would then allow you to use the Serial Sync Cable from the site referenced by Learned Gerbil. Based on prior experience with similar set-up, that should work, but would leave both devices unpowered, a possible problem for a long day's caching.

An alternative approach might be to go with the Serial Interface - with power input (again from PC-Mobile) together with the PC Interface Cable with Cigarette Lighter Adapter (from GPS Warehouse and possibly some form of serial converter/null-modem adapter to handle any pin-out conversion. A lot of cable, but both devices would be powered.

An alternative would be to consider the TomTom Navigator 3 Pocket PC GPS (UK) which would provide a complete solution. I'm not sure if the supplied cradle is powered but there is one available as an option.

Another place worth checking out are the Pocket GPS World forums which have been a source of useful information for me.

Hopefully that's all been of some help. As always, shout if you need more, but as it's the weekend, don't expect an immediate response :-)

- Neil.