Entering coordinates on my GPS - not enough room!

Kealia

Hi all,

I'm new to this so I hope this is just an easy thing that I don't yet understand.

The coordinates on the site are listed as:

LAT/DD/SSS but my GPS (Magellan 2000) only has room for 2 numbers under the seconds....

Is there a simple rounding that needs to take place or am I missing something??

Any information that you can provide would be VERY helpful.

Mahalo!

Kealia

I've never seen coordinates in Lat/Deg/Sec before. The coordinates here are not Deg/Sec. They are degrees-minutes.decimal minutes (DD MM.mmm). Multiple the .mmm by 60 and you get seconds. 42D 28.500M = 42D 28M 30S. If you need seconds to decimal minutes then divide by 60.

The coordinates listed on this site are dDD MM.mmm'. They are not seconds but decimal minutes.

First you will need to check exactly what format your GPS is set to as you might be mistaking 2 decimal minutes for 2 seconds (depending).

Forget the conversions, set your GPS to display dDD MM.mm' (if limited to 2 decimal minutes) and enter the site coordinates rounding off the last number in the decimal minutes.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

Hi, I'm new too. I have a Magellan 315, so I don't know if it works the same, but last week I asked and this is what someone told me.

Turn it on. Menu Setup. Check that the Primary chart datum is set for WGS84 and Primary Coord system is set of Deg/Min.MMM Press Mark then Enter and edit the Waypoint to the Cache Name by scrolling through the alphabet. Scroll down to the coordinates. Enter and edit the latitude and longitude to the cache site Lat and Long. Scroll down to Save. Press Enter. Press the NAV button until you get the Compass Screen. Press GOTO Highlight USER and Enter. Highlight the cache waypoint name you just put in. Enter. The Compass will now point to the cache. Follow it until the distance reads 0 and you should be right there. This worked for me. I've found 2 caches the past 2 days.

Julia Scott