Magellen 2000 Question

I was given an old Magellen 2000. I can't seem to ever lock on to more than 2 sats. I know this is an antique, but it was free. The guy who had it before me never could get it to lock on either. I reloaded all the start up data several times. Moved to other locations. Nothing seems to help. Anyone have any ideas before I turn this thing into dumpster fill? I normally use my Garmin so I was just playing with this thing to see if i could make it work. Just wondering what I may have missed.

I had a Magellan 4000XL a long time ago and, yes it did take a little while to lock onto enough satellites to get a lock (compared to modern GPSr's)

All you can do is stick in FRESH batteries, put it outside on a clear day (no clouds/trees/powerlines/etc, and give it about an hour max to hook up. If after that time it's still "lost" then it's probably best used as a paperweight :lol:

I had one. Glad I don;t anymore.

The first time you use it, it could take more than 15 minutes to lock. You might want to try "initializing" it, by entering your approx coordinates. Makes sure the Date & time are right too.

This is only a 2 channel reciever, so you should hold it still, in an area where you have a GOOD view of the sky. ONce it locks, leave it for another 3o mintes, so it has time to accuire the Almanac data.

After all this, it should lock a little faster, but it could still take 3 minutes each time you turn it on.

I got one of those free too! It will take a LONG time to finally lock on the three satellites. I used an entire set of batteries the first time. I haven't had time to play with it since. As soon as I figure out how/if it works, I'll make it a geocache prize.

Edited by Criminal

Well as I said I reloaded all the start up data a couple times and it has fresh batteries. I figured it would take a while to lock on the first time around but I wouldn't have guessed more than 15-20 minutes. I'll throw another set of batteries in it and let it set on the picnic table for a few hours and see what happens. After that, if no luck it becomes a hockey puck. Thanks for the advice.