Payment Options

Team GPSaxophone

I see threads pop up from time to time about sending in checks and waiting forever for it to clear the bank and/or membership to be activated. These people have some problem with using PayPal, and Groundspeak does not yet accept credit/debit cards for membership dues.

I don't understand the negativity towards PayPal. I use it all the time and haven't had a bad experience.

Well, there was this one time...at band camp... :tired:

Actually, I was on vacation (geocaching, of course) a couple of weeks ago. The morons at ARCO would only allow me to put $24 on my PayPal debit card. (Of course, that $24 includes a $.35 fee for using the debit machine).

Well, I drive a Suburban. It holds 42 gallons of gas. I was in California where gas prices were hovering around $2.00 a gallon (it's only $1.50 in New Mexico). Well, in order to fill my tank, I would have had to make 3 debit-card transactions! (For the math-challenged, three 12-gallon purchases would be 36 gallons, nearly filling the tank, and I wasn't quite on empty yet anyway, but that would have been $1.05 in debit-card fees). Since ARCO has the cheapest price around, I decided to do 2 transactions (giving me 3/4 tank of gas, more than enough to get to Kingman, AZ where gas is about the same price as it is in Albuquerque).

Well, PayPal (yeah, this is about Paypal, not ARCO...were you confused by that?) PayPal security decides that the duplicate transaction for $24 looks like fraud, so they suspend my card! The wife tries to buy some snacks at Ralph's before heading across the desert to Laughlin, but they decline the card. Now, I know I didn't spend the $1000 I had put on the card before leaving home, but I'm not in a position to check online. We ended up using our bank's check card to stay in Laughlin and get food on the trip home. I didn't find out why my PayPal card stopped working until I got home and found a message on the answering machine from PayPal asking me to call them. I suppose it's a good thing they didn't have some cachier confiscate the card, because once I explained to them how ARCO sucks, they reactivated the card. The lady I spoke with was really nice about it though. Usually I find some customer service person that doesn't care about my situation and is only interested in what time their lunchbreak is.

I'm not convinced that PayPal is part of the evil empire, but I know many people would prefer paying Groundspeak directly for their membership. What are the current plans to have this available?

I'm not convinced that PayPal is part of the evil empire, but I know many people would prefer paying Groundspeak directly for their membership. What are the current plans to have this available?

Groundspeak will start accepting credit cards directly soon. Check this post by Jeremy.

My bad experience with PainPal was when I created an account there. When I tried to enter my American Express card there, they just wouldn't accept it. They told me to enter my billing address there exactly the same way it reads on my credit card bills. I did. Card not accepted. After trying too many times I couldn't enter that particular card at all. It was blocked. :tired:

I asked about that via email, and got a reply few days later: I had tried to enter that particula card too many times, so it got blocked. 'Please use another card.' But I DON'T HAVE another card dammit! Eventually I tried with my wife's MasterCard. It went through the first time, and I paid for my membership with that. What did they have against my Amex? All the hassle with my membership paying took more than a week before I actually was member. I decided not to use PayEnemy again and remained to wait other methods of payment for Groundspeak.

(International money orders or checks are quite expensive to obtain in this part of the world, so it's not a good idea either. If Groundspeak wants international members, better have credit cards accepted soon!)

My situation with paypal was about a year ago. They charged my card three times for the same purchase. I had to jump through hoops of fire and then hang upside down naked singing God save the Queen before it was cleared up.

Well thats the short version anyway! Took me about 3 weeks and a LOT of phone calls, emails and conference calls with my CC company before they sorted it out and admited it was thier (paypals) fault.

:rolleyes: I made an eBay purchase using Paypal with some cash in my account but not enough to cover the purchase. Paypal charged the balance to my credit card. When the seller refused to ship, Paypal credited my credit card after I contacted the credit card company but never returned back the cash balance! Then I got a nasty letter back from them when I tried to have it corrected. They would not honor the return.

You know where I think they can go!!!

Edited by Colorado Papa