What's a virtual cache?

Oggie

quote:
Originally posted by james f weisbeck kd7mxi terra utah:

THERE FOR LOCATIONS WHERE REGULAR GEOCACHES REALY SHOULDNT BE PLACED icon_biggrin.gif

SUCH AS CITIES AND TOWNS!!! icon_wink.gif

WHY PUTE SOMETING SOLID IN A PLACE WHERE YOU CAN BE STARED AT ETC ANYWAY? icon_confused.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?u=KD7MXI

There are PLENTY of places in towns and cities to place "regular" caches.

What do you mean by stared at?

- Lone Rangers

quote:
Originally posted by james f weisbeck kd7mxi terra utah:

THERE FOR LOCATIONS WHERE REGULAR GEOCACHES REALY SHOULDNT BE PLACED icon_biggrin.gif

SUCH AS CITIES AND TOWNS!!! icon_wink.gif

WHY PUTE SOMETING SOLID IN A PLACE WHERE YOU CAN BE STARED AT ETC ANYWAY? icon_confused.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?u=KD7MXI

There are PLENTY of places in towns and cities to place "regular" caches.

What do you mean by stared at?

- Lone Rangers

Most caches have a box of trinkets at the stated coordinates. Virtual caches don't. It could be a beautiful waterfall, a nice view, or just a special spot; some place where you just say "Wow!" Often the prize at a virtual is worth much more than trinkets from a standard cache. And sometimes not.

Some areas have restrictions on actually placing caches. There are restrictions in the NPS parks. In Austin, Texas, there are restrictions in the "preserves", such as stay on the trail, etc. The Austin parks department has asked us not to place caches in those preserves, to help limit damage to fragile environments. They don't want people going off the trail. We are cooperating with them on this matter. The virtuals often lead us to very nice areas we might not have visited otherwise. Some places, like historical points of interest, do not have good places to actually hide a cache, but they are worthwhile places to visit. It is your choice whether or not to visit virtual caches, just like any cache. As proof that you actually visited the virtual cache, you usually have to answer a question about something on a sign, or about the location itself.

Viruals come in all kinds of shape and sizes. Where I was vacationing in Germany I did a search and found this cache. I thought it was such a great idea that I when I was back in the states a little while ago I set up a virtual cache of my own just like it.

BTW: If you live in Germany or are going to visit check out the other caches that mrudy has placed. He has a lot of original and very fun caches!

- Lone Rangers