Quebec Topo's In Mapsource

PDOP's

I've tried looking at the Garmin site but can't see anything about whether the MapSource desktop software will work with other maps like ETopo or SDI. I realize it wouldn't upload these to a GPSr but thought maybe it might work like Fugawi or Ozi.

In any case I think the seller is thinking of uploading waypoints & routes not the actual Quebec topos or it's a fraud. :) The only hacks I know of are for creating your own maps which can then be uploaded to Garmin GPSr's. Tracing all those contour lines wouldn't be any fun :)

Hopefully the rumors of Garmin topo's for Canada is true and we'll see them soon.

MapSource is only designed to work with MapSource maps, but there are some hacks that will (in theory anyway) allow you to load whatever map you want to into your MapSource desktop, as well as to your GPSr. I haven't treid any of them, mostly 'cause I am too lazy but it does sound interesting... I think that Garmin would take a rather dim view of it though!

OK! Have a look at

http://www.gpsquebec.ca/home.htm

This is the web site that sells topo maps that can be uploaded in a Garmin GPS. This is available NOW and has been available since nearly 2 months.

I have SEEN one such a map on an Etrex Vista. I t works perfectly. All what is needed from the seller is the vectorial map from the govt of Quebec (1/20,000) or from the govt of Canada. He made a program that converts all this into Garmin's MapSource format and there we go. He will even sells you that program. There are 2 or 3 versions of the program available on the Web site.

By the way, the rumor is that by the end of April Garmin will make availabale topo maps for the whole Canada. GPS Cental vaguely mention this on his home page at :

www.gpscentral.ca

This is what they will tell you if you phone them...

That guy who lives near Quebec City has something in his hand! As a matter of fact all vectorial material can be "translated" even material that will never be made available by Garmin for reasons such as size of the market.

What he did is some kind of retroengineering which is not illegal. He won't be alone you can be sure of that. Others will shortly come up with same kind of material including for Magellan. That is very interesting as there will now be competition on the market.