Gpx To Mapsource

WolfTracker

Hey Cruzin, whats up!

Right after installing GSAK, I saw EasyMPS and tried it. You're right, as it is the fastest and easiest way. Not knocking, GSAK... great tool, but I'm sold on EasyMPS.

I'm only receiving one message that stumps me when either I right click to open a gpx in MapSource as your post illustrates, or just do the normal opening through EasyMPS of the gpx file:

2.jpg

I hit OK and all is well. Just wondering why I'm getting that.

Thanks bro,

Chris

Edited by WolfTracker

I believe it is because you are using the 6.04 beta. With the 6.xxx verrsion, garmin changed their file formats. It will probavly be awhile before the other software (gsak, easy mps, etc) gets their hands on the new formats. It is good to know that mapsource will convert the old format into the new w/o a problem though

I use GarTrax to get my GPX files into Mapsource. When you download all the configuration files and extract them to the same folder as the executable, you can select the type of waypoint symbols to use. Choose the input file and the export file (this case MPS) types and click Convert. Give your export file a name and then open it in Mapsource (with the beta version, it will convert it). The waypoints have the geocache icon and the comment section has the cache name. Takes some initial setup, but after that it's a 3 step process...drag the gpx file to Gartrax, save it as MPS, open it in Mapsource. It's also free and another option for you.

I'm only receiving one message that stumps me when either I right click to open a gpx in MapSource as your post illustrates, or just do the normal opening through EasyMPS of the gpx file:

2.jpg

I hit OK and all is well. Just wondering why I'm getting that.

Yeah, as others have mentioned, it's because Mapsource 6 uses the new Garmin GDB format rather than MPS.

I've now updated EasyMPS to handle GDB input and output (a beta version is avaialble on www.iancowley.co.uk/caching), but the right-click-on-a-LOC-file still outputs the old MPS files to Mapsource.

I'll update that to have two menu options (one for GDB and one for MPS) in the near future.

Although Garmin have created this new GDB format, it's sufficiently similar to the old MPS one that it wasn't *too* hard (!) to work out. Unfortunately Garmin won't supply me with any info, so i've had to backwards engineer the whole file format!

Keep an eye on my website, and a fully-featured GDB-supporting EasyMPS update will be available soon!

--

Ian Cowley

EasyMPS creator