Nebraskaland Magazine And State Park's Policy

carleenp

The April issue of Nebraskaland Magazine just hit the the shelves and has a great article on geocaching. The article features Tom and Amber and includes one of my caches (Red Tail Lake). Most interesting is that the magazine, which is published by the State Games and Parks Commission, puts in writing the State Park's geocaching policy. We pretty much already knew that caching was OK in state recreation and wildlife management areas without specific permission and in state parks by permission of the park manager. But I never got anyone in the past to actually send me that in writing (although they have told many of us that verbally). Well, the article includes a nice sidebar about caching on public lands and states that policy. So it is nice to have it in writing!

Please note that the article stated that caches are not allowed at State Historical Areas. This was something I did not know but respect. So Nebraska people, please don't place caches in historical areas!

The web site still has the March issue up and I will post a link when they put the April issue with the article online. It is a very well done article with those nice pictures that Nebraskaland is known for! Thanks to Nebraskaland Magazine and Tom and Amber!

Edit: I will add for those who are curious that I know we have permission for caches at Schramm State Park and Two Rivers State Park. Platte River State Park also has caches and knows they are there. I do not know if specific permission was given there, but from what I can glean, they are also OK there since they have never asked for the caches to be removed and were mentioned in the article. I plan to try to find out about Mahoney State Park soon.

Edited by carleenp

On further reflection, I now read the state policy as requiring permission of the park superintendent at state rec areas too. I think some don't have designated superintendents though? Anyway, here is the exact quote from the article:

The Nebraska Games and Parks Commission allows placing geocaches in state parks and state recreation aeas, with permission of the park superintendent, and at wildlife management areas, but not at state historical parks.
Someting like this should be posed on the Nebraka local groups sites.  It's one thing to know you need permission.  It's another to know how go actually get it.

It was posted on the Nebraskache group and I plan to post it on a local web site as well.

Maybe it could be submitted to Geocachingpolicy.com? (They have nothing at all listed for Nebraska)

Someting like this should be posed on the Nebraka local groups sites.  It's one thing to know you need permission.  It's another to know how go actually get it.

It was posted on the Nebraskache group and I plan to post it on a local web site as well.

Maybe it could be submitted to Geocachingpolicy.com? (They have nothing at all listed for Nebraska)

Good idea. I had forgotten about that site! I will do that.

Hello everyone. This is my first post and I am proof positive that the article was effective.

I live in Dallas, TX and subscribe to Nebraskaland as I have always had a lot of interests in my home state. Well, that article caused me to check this out and this weekend I looked up this site.

Although I don't have a GPS receiver, I do have one built into my MINI Cooper, so today I drove to a few of the sites in the Dallas area on my way to my customers. I am planning on putting together a kit to start finding these and I even thought about getting our car club involved.

I am moving to Omaha next year and will be there for a visit later next week so I'll have to visit a few..

One question. Could you put a cache in the Fontinelle Forest? That would be a good place.

Well, I am excited! I can't wait to get started. I'll have to start one in Dallas with a travel bug to go to Omaha!!

MS

I live next to the forest and have a membership.

Even assuming permission, there are problems with admission and the rules regarding commercial caches. I don't know if Fontenelle Nature Association is a NFP organization or not, but there would be some issues there.

If there was to be a cache placed there, I would like it placed by the Fontenelle Nature Association. I wouldn't mind if the asked me or any local cacher for help but I'd rather work with them when it's something they're interested in initiating.

It's probably one of the best locations locally for a wheelchair accessable cache oddly enough, but I would prefer to have someone who understands the needs of someone in a wheelchair better than I plan it with the association.

Welcome aboard Mental surf!

Bons, does Fontenelle charge admission for the trails too? I thought they didn't. Anyway, I would love to see a cache out on one of the trails there too. If you plan to approch them about permission to place a cache or working with them on placing a cache, feel free to use Spring Creek Prairie Cache as a reference. I worked with Nebraska Audubon on that one. I know that Fontennell used to host some Audubon meetings and events, so that might help them view things favorably.

I'll doublecheck the admission for trails stuff this weekend.

Currently I don't have plans for anything at Fontenelle. If anyone wants to work with them on location/permission I'm willing to assist in maintaining it (since I can be there at the drop of a hat) but I have at least 4 other caches to place before I start planning one there. (and I suspect that if I plan one there, I'm going to take a lot of time making sure I know that park inside and out first.)