Which Software Program?

Hello! I am very new to this sport as I do not have a GPS yet. I have researched them and have decided on the Legend. My birthday is 2 weeks away and hopefully I will get that as a present. IF I don't, I will buy one. So, my question is are the map software programs worth it? I can see myself using the map software for TOPO maps along side paper topo maps. I learned how to navigate with map and compass and I dont think I can totally do away with that practice. Here are my questions in an easier to read format.

1. Are there more map programs besides the Garmin line compatible with the Legend?

2. Which compatible programs can data be shared both ways? (PC to GPS, GPS to PC)

3. Are there programs that allow various map scales of the same area? 1:100,000 is nice but 1:24,000 is WAY BETTER!

Thanks to anyone who can offer advice on this subject! :bad:;)

1) Yes if you just want waypoints to transfer to the legend. No if you want to upload maps to the legend. Then it's garmin only.

2)A lot for waypoints only. Only Mapsource if you want maps to transfer also.

3)Absoltuly. National Geographi Topo! and other topo maps based on the USGS quads. they will transfer waypoints and routes back and forth from your GPS but not maps.

The Garmin TOPOUSA are 1:100000 scale. That covers the entire US. The Garmin TOPO 24K maps cover the major national parks and a few other select areas. I would not replace a good paper quad with the Garmin TOPO software. It's good as a reference, but not for navigation in the back country.

On the other hand, I find Metroguide to be an invaluable navigation asset. On your Legend, you could get the older Metroguide 4.01 product and save yourself some $$ and still have a good mapping package.

-E